Wednesday, July 30, 2008

One long, hot shower later ...

Tonight was my first game back with the cricket, after a break of about 2 years ...

I thought I was ready to come back in but unfortunately my shoulder is pretty much Toast. Ah well, that just means I can't bowl any more and it keeps me away from doing boundary fielding. I'm not actually too fussed by that, as I'm far better at closer fielding anyway and as a nuggety opening batsman I can take the sting out of the better bowlers to set the stage for the big hitters.

On that close fielding thing, think Shortstop position or more likely Second Base. Shortstop needs a decent throwing arm, which I've never really had. But I do like scaring the people batting by running in, swooping on the ball and pinging it back to our wicket keeper to try and get them out. Did I mention I got a grass stain tonight ? I'm never happy on a cricket night unless I get at least one grass stain, because earning one means I've been diving around and putting the effort in. I don't like just turning up, I love having an influence on the game.

I was approaching tonight's game with a bit of trepidation because the team selection meant I might just have to be civil to the poor guy who's now going out with my ex. I suspect he had something to do with the breakup, so I flat refuse to talk to him now. Oh, he knows I've seen him when we're in the same 10metres or so but he will never get a response. Does that make me a vindictive person ? Probably not because I could do a lot worse than just the Big Evil Stare. I'm usually pretty good at forgiving but I occasionally make exceptions, like when I don't want the other person to know I'm not still angry with them.

And this fella was in the team for tonight.

As it turned out, I didn't have to be civil to him at all, as he disappeared fairly quickly when we gave up on the other side turning up. It was pretty damp here yesterday and Monday, so we didn't think there was much chance of a game. Today, however, was very dry and the sun even came out to make it a very fine evening. A few people thinned out, including Mr Idiot, leaving us with 8 people to have a knockabout. So that's 2 people batting, 4 running around in the field, 1 person bowling (we took turns, except me!) and a wicket keeper standing behind the stumps.

This was the first time I've played in 2 years and I'm not exactly what you'd call the most fit person on the planet. I'm overweight and have damaged most parts of my body. But I ain't quit yet. Muahaha. Although I think I will have to see a doctor relatively urgently because I didn't realise just how bad my shoulder is. My bowling turn was first and we had to give up on me because I could barely get the ball on the right pitch, let alone get any consistency. I think I must have injured the shoulder in another event, as well as the dislocation because I've gone from occasionally being able to bowl and bowl pretty well too, to being absolutely terrible.

So - we're having a knockabout, I'm relegated to fielding only and it comes to my turn to bat. I was actually pleasantly surprised, as I didn't get out at all. There was a pretty close Leg Before (ball would have hit the stumps but your legs are in the way) but I think it missed after a good look. I hit a few boundaries, tapped a few around, although I'd have had a lot more trouble if it was against match bowling. I was glad to take the pads and helmet off in the end cos it was getting rather steamy under the lid.

Fun night - and I didn't even have to resist the urge to fling the cricket ball at Mr Idiot's head when his back was turned. Which would have been kinda painful due to the state my shoulder is in. I nearly blew up a calf muscle too but I think I've gotten away with that. And one of the various captains seemed to want me in the team next week, which must be a decent sign.

I'm now chilling out with stuff off tape, wondering if I'll have time after Top Gear (recorded) to munch through some popcorn before sleeptime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.