Thursday, July 17, 2008

If you have to ask how much it is ...

... you probably can't afford it.

At least, that's how the saying goes ! In real life it can be a little different, like when you darn well know the price of the gadget you're wanting but you're not looking to be ripped off by one shop selling it for more than the proper amount.

My latest target gadget is an Airport Express, made by Apple. It looks like a pretty promising little widget :


So what is it and what will it give me ?

It actually does more than I'm interested in, cos it's a wireless router. I've got one of those (although my current one is looking to be thrown out the winda), what I'm really looking for on this is Airtunes ...

This little widget should allow me to fire up iTunes on the laptop, connect wirelessly to the Airport Thingy and have the Airport pass on the iTunes music to my better speakers. That should be a hefty improvement over the laptop speakers as I'm finding out that those Really Hate It when I ask them to squawk out the Enya. Enya has an amazing voice and does great music but my laptop's speakers just don't get on at all well with it. I could run a long lead across the room with laptop & proper speakers but I'd be highly likely to trip over it and break stuff.

Sounds like a ThingummyBob that could improve my listening pleasure doesn't it ?

PC World actually have this in stock but they haven't marked up anywhere how much it would be. It's on their web page, for exactly the same amount that it is on the Apple online store (£65). I was actually expecting it to be £50, so this particular toy will be waiting on the shelf a little longer.

However - there's always Ebay ;-)

5 comments:

  1. I need to figure out why my laptop speakers are sometimes EXCELLENT and sometime you can barely hear anything. I might consider upgrading them. Your post inspired me to come to these decisions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they can work pretty well with some music but with other's, they start to grate ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we have an Airport Express and quite love it. It works well for us re:music and its great not having to have the printer all hooked up when wanting to print stuff...

    I'm here via Michele today so hello from her and hello from me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Enya, too, Sleepypete. Do whatever you can to get better sound!
    Thanks for visiting today, via Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still not got an Airport yet - think I may need to set my Ebay bids a little higher ...

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.