Saturday, July 12, 2008

Curious advert patterns

There must be some science behind how people decide when to put their adverts on the telly.

The most recent trend I've noticed is the commercial van ads surrounding the cricket ... The science bit must be making the advertisers (and it's not just one manufacturer) think that the people watching the sport/cricket are the ones more likely to get a van. I wonder if they've considered putting their adverts on to the documentary channels, especially the historical ones, to see if they can catch the re-enactors.

The other pattern is the one that kicks in around 11.30pm or midnight ... This is the phone text adverts (get your self a friend by texting anonymous people) that infest the breaks. I get the feeling they're on at that time because they don't want to spend the extra cash that would go with prime time ad breaks.

Vulture adverts annoy me, although I can filter them out. These aren't just the injury lawyer adverts ("I slipped cos I wasn't looking where I was walking - giz 10 grand"), it's also the moneylender ads too. These definitely have the science bit fully engaged, they almost always paint a dark, depressing or troubled scene for the person looking for cash, that magically changes to Bright, Happy and Confident outlook when the person goes for the loan. I can recognise the psychology there, which gets me walking away every time.

So - vans & cricket - how come the science bit is getting these adverts on connected with the sport ? I dunno, I'd have expected cricket to be more associated with sunny cars like the panoramic glass ones and convertibles. They might also be looking at the typical cricket player, it seems a more middle class game than football or rugby, so the players could well be interested in commercial stuff through their work instead of their play. It wouldn't go as far as needing the van to fit all their kit in :

Leg pads, helmet, gloves (multiple pairs), bats (probably a couple), spiked boots, tape, drink, munchies, jumpers, hats. It all adds up. As an allrounder, I could still get away with a lighter bag but I know players who carry so much junk around they have to get what is nicknamed a "coffin" which can get close to being a 2 man lift for size.

Oh - I'll also happily admit that however much I'd have liked to drive one of the two Mazda sporty cars around, I don't think I could have put even my small cricket bag into either the MX-5 or boot of their RX-8.

Time for a bit of lunch/breakfast now and then more cricket. England are well and truly on top at the moment, although with South Africa's underlying class it will get a lot closer.

3 comments:

  1. the ad agencies have all kinds of data about what their client's demos are and who a particular TV program attracts.

    A van ad during cricket is similiar to a van ad during an American baseball game. Family men thinking about a vehicle all the kids can fit in.

    The late night "find a lover" ads are mostly because studies show that lonely single people are the 2nd group most likely to watch late late shows, elderly/college students are tied for first - funny I know.

    I'm with you on the sleaze ads as I call them, one of the most disgusting is where they advertise to loan $$$ against your paycheck. they never mention how the fees and interest add up to 300% being paid back.

    Have a great Suday and be careful of those ads! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "theme" ads that come on for certain sponsored programmes can be amusing :-) Things like the Natwest Piggy banks that are in the cricket and the Famous Grouse ads that used to be on the rugby.

    It's amazing that with so much research going into ads, that some of them miss the mark extraordinarily badly. There's a major bank that I won't have any business with because they sent me a letter that said I was an idiot for not having their card. Hmm - calling someone an idiot is not a great way to get their business ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I understood the logic - or lack thereof - that's used to decide when to air certain ads.

    Here in the Great White North, regulatory oversight of television programming applies only between 6 a.m. and midnight. So as soon as midnight hits, all bets are off: Suddenly, we're inundated with ads for all-night chat lines, infomercials and other things I wouldn't want my kids to see.

    Truly frightening. It's enough to make me want to sell the telly entirely!

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.