Saturday, July 26, 2008

Lagtastic ...

... aka I'm kinda glad I got out of this game !

There's been a big battle tonight between the alliance I used to be involved with and their sworn enemies, -A-. The report for what happened is coming on to the Eve forums here and shows why I left Eve ...

It's not a bad game is Eve, there's plenty in there for the powergamer in me to get interested in. There's also the ability to carve out a little piece of the universe for you and your alliance. That's what as me keeping up with what the alliance people are up to, curiosity for how they're getting on. Trouble is, the game itself can't cope with the big battles that happen when that little piece of the universe is being carved out.

There's more in that forum post, have a peek for the people complaining that they got kicked out of the game, to be unable to log in for over an hour. That's just not good enough from a group that expect you to pay a subscription for their game ... So - interesting game, shame about the implementation.

Time for me to get a little sleep now, I've just extracted myself from a marathon Moo2 session. It's the Twenty20 cup finals day tomorrow, which should be a good laugh :-) I'll give a little decode though on some of the terms used in that Eve forum post before I disappear ...

Lag - You press a button, no response happens for a while. On Warcraft, that can be 5-10secs when a lagspike hits, on Eve it can be anything up to an hour.
Grid - A 500x500x500km cube where the action happens. Entering the Grid means loading up everything needed to show what's there ... Hefty in a big battle like this one.
Capital Ship - Big ship for space station warfare (Dread/dreadnaught)
Titan - biggest ship in the game
CCP - The organisation responsible for not fixing the lag
POS - Starbase
Bubble - Think Star Trek, think warp drive, now think sphere where da warp drive don't work.

2 comments:

  1. I've never played Eve but I know about it. That lag thing is really bad if you are charging people to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been something they've promised to fix or quite some years now - one of the problems they're battling with is that the players have escalated the battles faster than the servers can cope with ...

    Maybe they need one of those IBM Deep Blue supercomputers :-)

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.