Thursday, August 20, 2020

A Cause, Some Pain And a Relic

Hello everyone,

I'm a little overdue about promoting a cause !
There we go.

Long time readers will recognise the little lady on the left there. She'll be taking part in a stream on Friday 21st August that's dedicated to a fundraiser for ending the virus of racism. In this case, it's focusing on the endemic racism we've been seeing directed towards pretty much anyone of Asian descent.

Here's the fundraiser link : https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/endthevirusofracism

This isn't just about the plague that's out there at the moment either. The racism has been out there a lot longer than that. It's a fear of Different.

Sod that. Difference is good. Difference is strength. Difference is interesting. Difference gives us new perspectives, new stories, new things to learn. New ways to do things. It should be a positive, not something to bully people with.

If you're a regular reader, you should know me well enough to know that I hate it when people can't fight back. This particular cause has roots in how the media is presenting the Coronavirus. Even our BBC pretty much always has the Asian person in a mask as a symbol for the virus.

That's wrong. It promotes a stereotype that gets people hurt. It's rare that I get angry about things but I'm angry when I know that people I know and care about are facing abuse born from the ignorance of others. And I'm even more incensed because the people triggering this abuse are the media, who are the voice that dominates opinion.

It's tough to fight a message if the abusers have all of the megaphones.

They'll be on Kim's channel at 2pm BST (GMT+1) tomorrow, which is really convenient cos that's around the time I'll close the work laptop up (I work longer in the week so I can wrap up early on the Friday). Here's the link : https://www.twitch.tv/nanokim

I can guarantee it'll be emotional. There will be many stories that will hopefully open your eyes. It'll be powerful.

How about me and the Some Pain ?
(credits in the picture)
I'm still struggling at the moment. The perverse thing is that the pain I have in my arm and wrist is ok for working at home but is likely to be very bad in games. I've been in games only a couple of times in the evening this week, once for a Battletech session, once for Motorsport Manager. They're both fairly hands off games.

I may have to abandon Final Fantasy XIV early. I've been liking it ! But that MMO playstyle seems to be really bad for my wrist.
I'm looking at alternate control methods for the internet spaceship because the yaw mechanism is triggering occasional spasms.

The issues I'm coping with at the moment are mainly :
Back - the lower lumbar area that I hurt when I was 17 never really fully healed and occasionally flares again. I think it got activated by stress tension and the muscles reacted. Anyway, that one can give the "My Strings Got Cut" feeling that I guess people with a bad back all know about. It also causes soreness in my left leg, as the damaged area impacts the nerves going into the leg.
Shoulder and arm - I think I said something about this a few weeks ago. I think the joint moved again and the arm settled into the Not Quite Right place which means I get numbness in the arm and the impacted circulation will amplify that RSI tendency.
Hips - this problem started with the cricket again but massively increased in the worst days of my skin condition (99% fixed now) when I was sitting on the floor. My hips are wrecked ... I can walk around ok when I can actively control the movements but standing and turning can lead to screaming.

But apart from that, I'm ok. As long as I'm managing the issues and avoiding the activities that make them worse, I'm not needing painkiller assistance to cope with them.

I'm in a far better position than a lot of people there and I have to remember that because if I have the pain now, it'll inevitable worsen when I'm even older.

On another note though ... Relic ? Nah. That's not me. Check this out :
Perhaps a preview of something I have in mind for December's Advent series ...

The game is Neverwinter Nights, which originally came out in June 2002. This was a quite flawed but brilliant game. It had many critics who came from the Baldur's Gate series and they were upset because it appeared dumbed down with only a couple of characters in the party, compared to the 6 of the earlier Baldur's Gate Infinity Engine games.

My response to that is that while I bounced off all of the Baldur's Gate games (and the new Pathfinder Kingmaker game) due to the micromanagement you had to do in those, I took to the simpler Neverwinter Nights and played the hell out of it.

The big step onwards that it took between Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and Neverwinter Nights was to turn the play area from 2d predrawn backgrounds into a mostly 3d environment. that had its critics too because the environments and models were pretty crude.
But that was the technology we had at the time. I think I'd have been playing this on either a 450MHz machine or a 2GHz Athlon XP and a distant ancestor of the graphics cards we have now. (Probably a 3dfx Voodoo2 with a whopping 8MB of memory)

I didn't particularly care about the graphics though. They tended to be a bit fuzzy anyway because that's how cheaper cathode ray tube monitors were. LED/LCD monitors are so much better.

Nope. I was drawn into the story much more and massively enjoyed it. I even have the walkthrough book somewhere. So I just had to go a bit further and acquire the two expansions when they came out in 2003.

This was a game from the days when they came in boxes with goodies too. In this case, a manual, 3 dvds and that map you see in the background as well.

Good times. (Although these goodies pale in comparison to what came with Falcon 4. Hopefully I can find that before December !)

People still play Neverwinter Nights too. The stream I have on the laptop is Distracted Elf (Twitch link) playing on a multiplayer Neverwinter Nights server. They made an excellent platform here.

Hopefully Kim's platform tomorrow will be super successful too. I'll bid you good night there, one more linkage !
Twitch stream : https://www.twitch.tv/nanokim
Crowdfunder : https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/endthevirusofracism

Good night everyone, stay safe, be nice to people you meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.