Monday, November 28, 2011

Ultimamega PC

A little while ago, ok years ago, one of the things I'd do to amuse myself was to see what the other extreme would be to the PCs I could build at the time.

It's only fairly recently that I'd had the spending power to build the PCs I wanted, instead of having to settle for quite rigidly budgeted cost/performance rigs. It actually works out cheaper in the long run, my early PC builds only lasted maybe 3 years before I was forced to upgrade them. This time around, it's been 5.5 years since Godzilla (and its later Shade incarnation) was built and the trigger for the upgrade has been software, not hardware.

That's right, if you have a 2006 era PC with the capability of a 2GHz dual core processor and a graphics card like an ATI 4850 then there's no reason to upgrade. It'll handle World of Warcraft at decent frame rates (admittedly with the graphics options turned down a bit). The only reason to upgrade is Microsoft's decision to force people to change (I refuse to call them an upgrade) to Vista or Windows 7 due to needing newer Directx versions.

Doh - I'm getting sidetracked again. I used to do budget builds for my custom build PCs but possibly as a bit of rebellion, I'd see how expensive I could make a PC. Just one rule, it had to be gaming capable and Not Silly. So triple display water cooled machines would be fine, needing a second case to put a RAID array in would count as Silly.

So what's the build ? Here goes :

Case first. I'd like to say Thermaltake here as, despite me thinking the manual was written by illiterate blind moronic monkeys, the case I have is top quality within its limits. £33 for a top quality case is really good but it loses out on not having multiple 2.5" drive bays (SSDs) or a removable motherboard tray. The expensive Thermaltake cases look a bit nasty though in an Anti-Bling kind of way.
Let's go for an Antec 1200 V3 for £153 (+£120 on what I paid)

Every case needs a PSU, to keep to the "what did I buy?" theme let's look at Corsair. To fit the rest, it's going to need to be big ... A 1200W PSU would cost you £239 (+£185).

Next comes the motherboard and a cpu to put into it. Make it an Asrock Extreme 7 Z68 board for £233 (+£113) and an Intel i7-2700K for £252 (+£84). There's really no point in going beyond the 2700K because you don't really gain anything. Unless there's dual cpu monster boards out there ... There's no real point actually in going beyond the i5 2500K.

Memory, we'll go for the maximum for the board (32GB). Looks like G.Skills, the people who supplied my memory, only go up to 4GB modules so we have to go for Corsair Vengeance memory. That's £465 for 4x 8GB modules, compared to the £45 I paid for my 2x 4GB modules. The difference is the top speed they will go up to, mine are rated for 1600MHz while the Corsair modules are rated for 1866MHz. Both are more than is needed and won't be put under any strain in a system that isn't overclocked.

Cooling is key to any system. Good cooling means great stability (especially in the summer) but you need to be careful to make sure you don't end up with the equivalent of vacuum cleaner noise. Mine's not too bad there with the Zalman cooler. I'm aware of the fan when in the room but not when in bed, which is upstairs a floor. Staying Zalman again, they have an air cooler for £69 (I paid £43). It's worth putting a few extra £ in here but I wouldn't go above what I paid. Watercooling is an option too, although it's harder these days to find the bits as mainstream suppliers like Novatech don't stock them.

Graphics. This is the fun part. I went for price/performance here by buying a single GeForce 560Ti for £185. That's not good enough for the Ultimamega PC, it needs not one but two GeForce 590s for £770 each.

Yes. This is a Silly PC.

Drives make a machine go. I've really appreciated having Pumpkin's Windows on a Solid State Device drive and Overclockers.com have made me appreciate that more with this review of the upsized version. Mine's a 64GB version, SillyPC needs 2x 256GB SSDs plus 2 of the biggest conventional drives on the market. The 2 conventional drives get paired up in RAID to keep the data safe. The bill ? 2x £305 for the SSD plus 2x £280 for 2 3TB Hitachi drives. I paid £84 for a 64GB SSD from Crucial and £73 for a 1.5TB drive from Western Digital

Oh - also noticing that SCSI drives (old tech) cost about £1 per GB still. Not putting them in this PC because I really don't see the point of getting an old tech drive that's far inferior to SSD for almost the same price/capacity as an SSD.

That's actually most of the machine now, it's just sundry items to go :
Windows 7 - Home Premium is £80, Ultimate is £155
Bluray drive - I bought a Samsung for £46 (Cyberlink's software bundle is repulsively bloated these days), SillyPC wants a blu-ray rewriter for £70.
Monitors - that's right - plural ! Actually, in the widescreen era having multiple monitors fails the Silly test. 3d monitors are ok though. £530 for a 27" 3d monitor from Acer.

How much is the whole thing ? I'll exclude the monitor as I don't have a good comparison :
My PC - roughly £930 plus or minus a bit
Ultimamega PC (but not really Silly) - £4346 + £530 for 1 of those 3d monitors. And you'd also want a Silly keyboard, mouse, headset and sound system to go with it.

Ouchies. But not as Ouchies as the SillyPCs I was having fun pricing up 10 years or so ago. Those had more stuff in too like DAT tape backup. Does anyone still use those ?

Is it worth paying Silly Money ? No. Definitely not. The only change I'd make from the My PC if money was completely No Object would be to replace the single 560Ti with a pair of 570's and even there, I think I'd just go for a pair of 560Ti's. A lot of the extra cash in the Silly PC is going on stuff that adds no real value past shininess and boast potential. Unless you're going for recording photorealistic 3d rendering in real time that is ... Example - my PC during the SWTOR beta test was using 4.7GB of its 8GB and could run it as maximum detail with no frame drops. Same for WoW, max detail at 1080p with minimal frame drops, including while raiding. Anything beyond 8GB is overkill.

But I have fun indulging myself pricing it all up anyway :-)

PS Just under £1000 is still hefty. But it should last me another 5 years, hopefully more. Which makes it more cost effective than doing what I used to do, which was to spend about £700 on a machine that wouldn't last more than 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.