Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Whiny ouchie Whiny

Gotta admit, I hate leaving a whiny post at the top of the blog but I have a good idea for what'll knock this particular one off on Thursday.

(Not done a Thursday 13 for a while !)

Having one of those real OUCH days today. I'll get into a state where my muscles tense up. All of 'em. It includes my left upper leg but the most annoying sections are my upper back and right shoulder. Usually the areas that are vulnerable due to the long term injuries I've inflicted upon myself over the years. And when the shoulder goes bad, my wrist will follow with RSI related issues.

It's the inability to relax that gets to me when the tenseness strikes. If I was able to relax the muscles, it would break the vicious circle of the tensioning up. Stretching doesn't help, it usually triggers the opposite set of muscles into cramping. I could look into pills to see if painkillers would make them behave but I REALLY don't want to start down that road.

Drugs are bad.

So I'm chilling out with music instead (Coldplay track on now) and forming the OUCHIE thoughts into words for this post. Tapping the words out helps me get closer to fully understanding what's going on and I feel I need to do that in order to figure out how to deal with the issues.

It's not so much the tensed up muscles that's the problem, it's understanding the reason why they've gone like that. I have a few reasons there :

New job position stress (as in figuring out what the role is without a decent handover !). I think everyone is expecting me to ease back into it but that's not the way I work. I like to hit the ground running in a Geronimo approach to change. As I wrote below, it can take some effort for me to start a change but when I switch, I switch fast and hard.

Eating and drinking all the wrong things. I react to caffeine ... Either too little or too much and at least 5 pints of Pepsi yesterday was almost certainly too much. This'll be the major cause of those muscle issues, it's a reaction to all that Pepsi. So when I finish the coke I'm drinking now (lol @ the self inflicted wounds !), I'll be on the water to attempt to detox. My salt balance is almost certainly off as well.

Just plain tired. I have a tendency to burn myself out and we've been doing a fair bit over the last few weeks at work. Big delivery points and things like that, so a higher effort put in compared to the usual hard work. It'll be good to know that after I do extract myself from the various tasks in my old post, that there aren't many loose ends left over. There are some but they're in areas where some other lazy git should have been managing his own problem instead of me firefighting it.

Aside - oh look ! Another story about Terror Toyotas ... I wrote something about the Prius a little while ago. Hybrid cars are a very interesting concept. But ... When it comes to stopping a guided missile that weighs over a tonne, there's nothing safer than the Rude Crude Friction pad brake system. If you've been around electronics enough, you know they glitch especially in the hostile environment of a car. Gis a mechanical brake any time.

Heh heh heh - back to my own problems.

Looking forward to Easter, as I'll be grabbing a week off work to get away from work and people in general. Time to chill out, relax and do as little as I can get away with (until the Cabin Fever strikes!). Games too, some Eve, not so much Eve as it tends to put me in a Paranoid Hyperactive way of thinking that isn't healthy.

Few weeks to go yet until then. And while that's coming, I'll keep going for an outward impression of Strong cos maybe then I'll even be one of the ones's believing that :-) I'll be looking to wipe off the Whiny post in a couple of days with a musical Thursday Thirteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.