Sunday, March 07, 2010

Change coming

I'm not the best at change. I'll be able to quickly adapt when change is required but it takes some bashing over the head for me to go with the initiation of that change ...

That's change in all its forms, whether it be job, relationship, where I live, team I play for, all sorts of stuff like that. When my last relationship broke up, I was a shell for at least 6 months, probably at least a year. I'd buried myself in Warcraft, which helped a fair bit because it got me involved with people again. I think I'd have been affected a lot more by loneliness if not for the Mercs and Guildlink. Shame that didn't last.

I think I've put myself back together sufficiently now, although I have gone nuts over one or two special people. :-) Where are you my Bright Young Thing ? :-)

Team I play for - one thing I should have done, which I do regret, is not switching the cricket team I played for at school. When I made the step up from junior to men's (2nd team), this fella gave me the confidence to bowl to a standard that was actually much better than what I'd done in the junior team. We got promoted that year and the people who ran the team rewarded the captain by taking the job away from him. So he left for a neighbouring team and I probably should have followed ... It seemed like the right decision at the time to stick around. But ... If I had gone then I wouldn't have been subjected to things like fielding in the deep with a bust shoulder. (One of the successor captains was rather jealous that I trounced him in everything at school)

I've not been too bad at moving when I need to. However, that's usually because I've been forced to move by where I go with the job. Without the impetus to relocate, I stay where I am. Which is probably not a bad thing as it costs a lot to move ...

I've been working in my current project for over 10 years, with at least 2 more (work rules) to come. I think it's bitten a few more in the project like that, there's one fella who's been there for what must be getting close to 20 years. It's a good project, we get things done and there's been real signs of progress over the last 10 years as we've gone from nothing to verrrry nearly a complete product. Can't say here what it is (there's 1 post that says it if you look hard enough!) but it's one of those projects that reallly substantial. Think budget of billions ...

What's the change this time ? I switch posts at work in a couple of days. I've previously been looking at encouraging several complex computer systems to work together. What I'll be switching to is more of an acceptance role. With a big contract, there needs to be a method of ensuring that the delivered article is what we asked for.

It'll be a wider scope to look at but also more disciplined. Over the years on the project, I've had that integrating of computer systems as a central core but I've also taken on other stuff as needed on the project. Kinda like firefighting or troubleshooting, identifying where effort is needed and applying myself to it. It's been fun. And I have my fingerprints all over the project :-)

So - the change happens this week and I'll be very curious to see what happens to all the old tasks. I'll probably get way too much fun out of coaching one particular person to pick up some of the finance stuff (she's smart enough to handle it). And I'll be watching the bunfight with my old line management not wanting to let me go :-).

New job is with the same project, which suits me in a number of ways - less to unlearn/learn compared to moving to somewhere different. Not a big enough change to break through the inertia, bit more like one of those firefighting episodes. I'll still be around the same project and people, so I'll get leaned on as much as before for the finance, math, computer and project knowledge stuff.

So that'll be next week, figuring out what's expected in the new post.

What I could do with is initiating some more change in the other areas I mentioned up top. Been living on my own for a while now and it's been getting boring. I thought I was on to something a few times over the past few years but those have come to naught. Dunno about moving, don't think that'll really be necessary unless something happens with that relationship thing.

Team I play for is a potential change. The cricket team I played for at work lost its way a few years back, by going a bit too serious. It started out as a fun after work thing but stepped up a few gears and got more competitive. I don't get a look in with that team any more, I suspect due to issues with the fella who looks after picking who plays on the team. So it looks like if I do want to play cricket again (questions there ...), I'll have to switch team. I'll also need to get fit and figure out a way of getting my batting up to speed in the absence of being able to bowl.

Change of diet would be a good thing too. My weight's been pretty stable, so I haven't been overeating. I still have a couple of stone's worth of excess baggage. 13.5 to 14 stone isn't excessive but it's a little too heavy for my current physical condition. It would be a good weight if the baggage were muscle :-) I'd like to lose some but I'm not overly worried about it. Worry causes stress causes weight gain. I'm hoping a Positive Mental Attitude helps me avoid the comfort munching that'll cause that weight gain.

Says he who's about to disappear into the kitchen to find a mini packet of Mini Eggs and who nearly munched through a whole packet of cookies in one go earlier.

MOAR COOKIEZ !

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.