Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Star Wars Advent 2018 Day 18 and a quick one

Quick late one today !
Today's what's-in-the-box is a First Order TIE Fighter. At least I think that's what it means with the red on one side and black on the other.

I've pondered getting one of the bigger TIE Fighters (to add to several more smaller ones I have) but .... TIEs are a bit boring ? They're just a ball in the middle and a couple of big slabs to the side.

I did enjoy playing the TIE Fighter game and its expansion when it came out. I actually 100% finished that game. Good times. Actually literally unplayable too without a joystick. Keyboard controls were not an option. Strange !

I've been out tonight, getting the cards for Christmas and it let me catch the film Mortal Engines before its likely disappearance from one of the main local cinemas. I usually prefer to go to the Avonmeads cinema because it's quieter ... but you don't really want to be fighting your way across Bristol at rush hour.

It's a shame, this one is likely to be chased out of the cinema due to new arrivals (like Mary Poppins which is highly likely to be popular) and due to reports of very low box office turn out. It's a bit sad that a few highly promising films have all come out at the same time. There's a gap for a while and then several ones to watch come out at the same time. I'm not bothered by Aquaman (superhero movies of that type are wearing out their welcome) but would like to see the latest Spiderman.

Anyway - Mortal Engines !

It's set in the future after a fast apocalyptic war wrecks the Earth and changes our way of life. We now live in mobile cities.

A curious film, it invents its own universe and lore and brings you into that world quite nicely. Perhaps it drags at points (it's a Peter Jackson, these films tend to be overlong) but it keeps you interested in what's going on and the story moves along quite well.

I won't say too much more because of Spoilers but ... worth catching before it disappears.

I think I need to research and acquire the books for later reading, I bet they expand upon that lore so much more than we see in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.