Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Game time, maybe not

One of the unwritten laws of cricket goes something like :

If it's likely to rain, it will. Or rather, it'll rain until the game is called off and then the sun will come out.

That's today's story :-) To be honest, I really shouldn't be on a cricket field at the moment anyway as the little injuries are starting to gang up on me. What's up ?

Ankle's still bad, the first step of a running stride will lead to CRUNCH. It's passable for cricket though because I can run on soft ground. I just have to be careful and disciplined with how I use it. No CRUNCH = full running power available = no problem. I just have to remember before I go running across the road to avoid trucks.

Sore back. Yet another of the long term injury lists. It hasn't bit me yet but it's thinking about it. Same again with being disciplined, I know what movement makes it reallly bad, I just won't do them.

Shoulder. This is the worry at the moment. I had 3 catch chances in the (rather eventful!) game last Thursday, the second of which led to Big Ow. Drop 1 - running in from the boundary, I got fingertips to it so I think I should have caught it. I thought I had a bit more room ... Which shook my "Is the ball really landing there ?" confidence for the second. I stand in the right place, get under the ball but second guessing and too much time to think lead to me blinking at just the wrong moment.

Result - one bruise on my bicep like a flesh eating bacteria's got to it. And a very sore shoulder as a result of me getting angry at myself and overthrowing. My shoulder's quite weak as a result of a dislocation and throwing in from the boundary doesn't help. I'm not in true pain, just low level reminders of it. And a feeling that if I reach too far, the arm will come off. I've probably damaged the tendon or ligaments at the back of the joint again through the repeated overthrowing.

Oh - catch 3 was held, just in off the boundary at long off. It was pretty dark at this stage, to the point where if the ball was coming along the ground, you couldn't see it. Red ball against cloud was ok :-) We won a rather close game, short handed at the start which got worse early on when one of our opening batsmen tore a hamstring. Due to a poor shot (I blame my Demon Soul Bat!) and possibly some jinxing, I joined him shortly after. Cue one hospital trip to get sore legged person some attention ...

Doh - was talking about the injuries. That I'm noticing them more probably shows that I'm a bit worn down at the moment. Looking forward to a week off work next week, it should be a good chance to chill out, take it easy, let those injuries have a chance to recover.

Left hamstring is just annoying, as is a knee that likes to click in and out as it feels like it.

Time to put those injuries away again, as focusing on them is a cause of depression. I'll be going back to ignoring them :-)

PS I promise not to put myself in a position to have to run away from trucks in the near future !

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.