Sunday, July 25, 2010

Change of routine incoming ...

Back to work tomorrow, so it'll be back to the old routine of oversleeping and then rushing out to get to work before they run out of teacakes.

Or more appropriately, to get out of the house at that certain time that gets me through the traffic easier. It works out to me clocking in between 9.05 and 9.15 most days, safely within teacake supply timings.

I'm always curious the evening before returning to work after a break. What's happened ? What's the gossip ? Has the Big Stick (tm) come out ? (When the IT Girl speaks, we obey - well, I do at least). Have the wheels come off ? How has everyone been ? IS THE CANTEEN STILL SELLING TEACAKES ?

The wheels do that you know, they can't survive at work without me. Honest. (Yeah right! I iz small kog in Big weel)

Anyway, it'll be good to go back. There's only so much hometime downtime I can take before I start clawing the walls in boredom. That hasn't actually happened yet this time, I bet because I've been picking music up again. This time, it's a double Dubstar album (Goodbye) joining their Make It Better album. I first heard Dubstar by catching their track Anywhere on early Saturday morning telly, the same as how I picked up on Alisha's Attic. I was impressed with the Disgraceful album but initially hadn't thought much of Make It Better.

Opinions change though, with time - my music tastes have got a lot more varied lately :-) (I blame the Sister)

Doh - missed one of my traditions. Can't talk music without a video link, here's Stars.

I've had a couple of objectives this week, fairly simple ones because they involved not doing much. Objective 1 - chill out. Think I've managed that. I have the borderline insomnia that I get when I'm not tired when bedtime comes around.

Objective 2 - injury healing. Dunno there. My shoulder isn't in pain but we'll see how it is when I stretch for something. Ankle is bad news, I reckon I'll have to take it to the doc's because when dancing out the door of the pizza shop (it made sense at the time), it wanted to go Crunch again. Won't keep me out of cricket but it's a bit of a pain (sic) not being able to put power through it on hard ground.

Objective 3 - clear the box of recorded stuff. Check :-) It was at 27 hours recorded on there before Sherlock started recording. It started at about 16 hours free ... Plenty of X Files and Deadliest Catch watching going on and I was very impressed with how they closed out the Dollhouse.

Objective 4 - listen to lots of music. Oh yes. Definitely. iTunes tells me I've listened to 669 different songs lasting 1.7 days over the past 7. Not bad :-) Oh - joining Dubstar on iTunes was Plastic Beach from Gorillaz and an old All About Eve live album.

Plastic Beach is definitely the better of the three, although I have a feeling I haven't gotten to the standout tracks from Goodbye yet. I think it's the variation I like in Plastic Beach, plus the better ones start slow and then build. It's good stuff. It might be next weekend though before I get to listen to it as an album, cos I like to listen to individual tracks first before running them through as an album.

People who know me really well will be wondering about me & gaming ... There's no objective 5 : Game As Much As Possible in there :-). I guess I must be getting fairly reformed there. I've been in the games occasionally, with a few runs through Settlers IV and a bit of Borderlands tonight. Not much Eve though ... apart from a little bit of redeploying ships. Strange. Possibly more confirmation that my games addiction has been replaced by a music addiction.
(I'll be covering thoughts on that in a blog post about personality change ...)

Ok. There was an Objective 5 : "Get through the Turtledove book". Which I succeeded in :-) Funny - a 500 page book needed months of hard slog to get through. The next book was a 320 pager by Jack Campbell which took just under 48 hours to go cover to cover. I still want to get that Turtledove series read ... even it takes me the next decade. 4 down, 4 to go - home straight. Current book is Storm From The Shadows from David Weber, I'm 300 pages through that out of 1000.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more reading to do when I get back in tomorrow ... Wonder if my inbox has survived the assault it'll have been getting this last week ?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good break to me, though atm I would rather be practiclaly anywhere but at work. It's really stressful :(

    I was quite pleased that they made a decent stab at closing out Dollhouse properly though was diappointed it got rushed so much -just when the storyline was potentially devleoping and getting interesting. There were a few non-siquiters especially involving Alpha but consiering the time they had left, not bad at all. Don't even get me started on why they had to drop another good series (RIP Firefly and Jericho as just two others)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangely enough, my inbox was hit harder this week than last ...

    Work is "fun" here too, we have people who say they do stuff but need very careful checking to point out where they haven't.

    Firefly and Jericho both ended before their time. Serenity was a decent continuation but it kinda tore up that universe. Same with Defying Gravity and B5 Crusade, excellent concepts killed off by idiot moguls.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.