Sunday, June 07, 2020

Wanderlust to the Core again

Hello again,

I'm in a bit of a "not quite sure which game" at the moment. Sometimes that's because I'm not getting on with how some of the games play, sometimes it's due to the latent RSI injuries that have been with me for a while now.

And then other times it's because I get mysterious sudden twinges in my upper body ! Some definite random ouchies happening lately. Need to get out and about when conditions are right again. I need a thumbnail pic ...
There we go. I did a Space again. I'm figuring out ways and means to get the better screenshots again. Some of the EDSM waypoints will take you into the heart of nebulae like the one above ... but in that case you're surrounded by colour or the nebula is too big to take in on screen. So what I was doing yesterday was seeing how far off the nebula I should be to get it all in one shot. I think that one worked.

Before I go much further though, check out this video from Wanderbots : Itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality. The bundle itself is at Itch.io at this link. There are only 9 days to go on it so it'll be gone around 16th June (for those reading this later wondering why the link doesn't work!). It's a bundle for 742 games at a minimum of $5 cost. And from a quick scan, there are some crackers on there like Oxenfree, heard lots about Night In The Woods, Overland, games that catch the eye like 2000:1 A Space Felony.

I'll probably sign up for that bundle as well over the next week.

To the spaceships ! I mentioned setting up for another Core speed run earlier in the week and on Friday afternoon/evening, I thought I'd go for it. Probably a good thing too because I've had a weekend of not feeling great mentally. I dunno, a mixture of tired (which doesn't feel like it makes sense) and a lak of focus with not feeling like I want to throw myself into doing Stuff like doing a little more in The Outer Worlds.

So ... to the Core ! The competition rules say that they want a picture at the start with the system clock on it :

There we go. A start time of 14.48.00 GMT. The challenge was to try and get there in time for ordering pizza, so a target of under 4 hours to get me there before 7pm server, 8pm UK. Pizza didn't happen though because I didn't feel like ordering it after I finished ! (Quick addon - here's a link to the Frontier Forum post with more details)
One thing I noticed quickly was that Tea and Medals was running not just cool but downright cold ! Apparently the Dolphin ships are a bit unbalanced there. It meant I could start the hyperspace charging extraordinarily quickly which chopped some time off the run.

A big difference this time around was that I was using the Neutron Star Highway and the jump plotter at Spansh (link). What that gives you is a set of waypoints to follow on your way there :
(click for more readability and oh look more tabs in my secondary browser window ...)

You pop in your origin and your destination, give it your jump range and how far off a direct line you want to go and it'll give you the list of waypoints. Sometimes going off the straight lets you take advantage of more neutron boosts, which is important because a boosted jump takes you 4x the distance of a normal jump and you're not always jumping the full distance because you can only jump from star to star. So if there aren't stars conveniently placed apart at your jump range, you have to take more hops.

A couple of stats :
80% in the Dolphin plotted to 167 jumps and the other ranges were 152 jumps at 50%, 163 jumps at 60%, 154 jumps at 70%, 184 jumps at 90% and 476 jumps without deviating from straight (100%).
I think Warp Factor Potato (aka Tea-89) was capable of 51ly jumps, which worked out to 229 jumps at 80%.
Tea and Medals did the run in 3 hours 19 minutes 36 seconds (including a game crash in the middle!) and 183 jumps at an average of (25,900ly / 183) 141.5 light years per jump. You have to add a few extra jumps and pauses in to fill up the tanks because you can't refuel at the neutron stars as well as on the spot repairs.
Warp Factor Potato took 6 hours 7 minutes over 411 jumps at an average of 63 light years per jump.

Being able to take longer hops leads to less jumps than you'd expect, although the Potato's run was using the in game jump plotter with barely any reference to the Spansh plotter.

Enough stats, back to the pictures !
I may have been taking a few more liberties as well ... If you look in the bottom right, there are two lines under "Fuel 1.61/h". The top one is a reserve fuel tank for in system travel, the bottom one is fuel for the hyperdrive. You really shouldn't be getting that low ... With that amount remaining, I probably wouldn't have been able to jump to a different star. This just needs a little planning though ... In this case, after jumping through a series of neutron boosts, I selected a star to jump to that I knew I could fuel at.
Another condition is that you do the run in Open Play, where you're in with all of the other players. I'm normally sticking to Solo.
And there we go ! Dropping out of hyperspace at the entry to Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the centre of our galaxy. You should be able to make out the edge of the photon sphere eye around the blackness. One of the other conditions for the race is that you take a picture of the galaxy map when you arrive. This has a system clock time on it :
There we go. And ...
A little bit of posing that's gone on my Inara page. I didn't stick around though, I still had ponderings of pizza.
Stopped at Explorer's Anchorage overnight, which is just a couple of lightyears out from Sagittarius A*. I could pick up a planetary rover here for the trip back. I didn't have one for the trip there because it drops a whole light year off your jump range, which is a big hit.
First stop was a system only 0.79 light years away from the big black hole. It's the white fuzzy dot above my ship's nose. (Not that one, it's just above the top of the ship). I had a call for more math ... what's the gravity there ?

From a previous post, acceleration per solar mass is 1.327 * 10 ^ 20 / distance in metres squared.
(the 10 ^ 20 is how many zeroes are added - in this case, 20)
Sagittarius A* is 4 million solar masses so that pops the number up to 5.308 * 10 ^ 26.
You pop in to the system at 61 light seconds, or about 1.8 * 10 ^ 10m.
That makes the gravitational attraction at that point equal to 160,000 g. (divide acceleration in m/s/s by 10 to get g)
0.79 light years is (0.79 * 9.46 * 10 ^ 15m) 7.47 * 10 ^ 15.
So the gravitational attraction at my landing spot is a fairly minute 7.1 * 10 ^ -5 m/s/s or 7.1 micro g. That's just under 1000 times of the Moon's gravity on the surface of the moon. But ! Depending how I read what I'm looking at now, it's either double or 20% of the Moon's gravitational influence on Earth. If that planet rotates and had water, it would have tides from Sagittarius A*.

Just wanted to work that one out :-D. Science is fun.
Finding Pretty Space Things is also fun. This is the Hypio Orb Nebula. I've started naming the screenshots immediately so I have a reminder of where they came from.
One of the ongoing memes with Kolo is the tendency for the surface scanner to stop at 89% (if it hits 90%, that counts the whole planetoid as being mapped).
And there we go, view from the surface.

That's it for me for today. Not sure if I'll be gaming (I'll open up The Outer Worlds shortly I think) much or just enjoying more of Fleet of Knives in a series by Gareth L Powell.

Stay safe, be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.