Monday, June 08, 2020

Black Music Matters Too

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking about doing another music post for a little while and the current events have given me a bit of a theme to work with ! But first ... thumbnail pic ...
The formerly unnamed Dwagon Rock Band has another member. Actually it's had another member for almost two weeks now but I haven't felt up to doing any more on that project just yet. The name is likely to be Chromatic Fever, cos you know ... metal and dragons ! May need to draw more colours of dragons and not just the green ones.

Actually, that digression takes me to mention another fella who uses dragons for his avatars, Aavak of the lovely voice that owes a lot to Welsh heritage. Great voice, lovely fella. Here's a link to his Youtube, which will take you to the rest of his accounts.

But this isn't supposed to be about streaming people, it's about the great music. One issue I've always had with my music posts is that they always go to the same groups and singers. Like The Cardigans, All About Eve, Bat For Lashes, Tori Amos. Let's have some different people who are just as awesome.

First up is Seal, who's song Future Love Paradise was essentially the catalyst for this post when it took its turn on my iTunes. Seal has an amazing voice and he's an expert at using it. This song is one of his best.

Next up is Massive Attack, a local band to the Bristol area. When I first heard Teardrop as a song (I think I'd heard it on adverts), I thought it was amazing. Pure magic.

Morcheeba's been a fun band to listen to as well. Sometimes it's ballad type songs, sometimes it's more like rap, sometimes it's lyrics that are there for fun. It's diverse, it's interesting. Here's The Sea, sung by a wonderful Skye Edwards.

You can't discuss artists of colour without going back to the classics and the originals. Nina Simone's music will be unforgettable, timeless and always guaranteed to draw on the emotions. And get you singing along to songs like Here Comes The Sun.

And then there's Aretha Franklin with Respect.

(Are you chair dancing while listening yet ? I am)
Ella Fitzgerald with another classic, Lets Fall In Love.

We have Nat King Cole with more Unforgettable songs. The older singers had a wonderful way of standing there and letting that music flow out for them in just a wave of beauty.

You're probably noticing that these are tending to be older songs instead of current artists - that's just me and the style of songs I like. Am old and like the older styles :-D. Nicki Minaj has added a lot to some recent Madonna albums but her usual stuff is too fast, too attack, not calming. So while I have some Beyonce in the library, she's not someone I listen to much.

Not forgetting those utter wizards with their instruments, Lenny Kravitz had a string of amazing songs on Are You Gonna Go My Way and then there's the legend that is Jimi Hendrix with my favourite of his, Voodoo Child.

I'm a lucky owner of a Sammy Davis Jr collection as well, now there is an incredible voice and apparently an even better dancer. This legend's song can only be Mr Bojangles. Oh and The Impossible Dream which I remember first from when it was adopted for a fantastic Honda advert.

You have to mention Michael Jackson here too for his innovative contributions to dance and dance music. Smooth Criminal is a classic.

Moving on to Prince, who was a brilliant singer and an even better songwriter. You'll have heard his songs sung by other bands and singers including Sinead O'Connor, The Bangles, Kiss, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Kate Bush ... Here's When Doves Cry.

I love Roberta Flack's voice as well, here is the original Killing Me Softly With His Song.

I'm gonna finish on Seal again because he's just so good. Another topical one to end on, Don't Cry.

Actually no - this is the perfect song to close on. It's Louis Armstrong with What A Wonderful World. Because despite all the trouble and strife, this is a wonderful world to have you, yes you reading this, in it.

Stay safe, be well and I hope you enjoyed these wonderful songs as much as I have while collecting them together. There are so many more songs too ... but only so much room in a post. Find them, enjoy them !

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.