Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Songs that bring out the singing

Tonight's album coming through on the iTunes has been the Let It Roll collection by George Harrison and ... I've been singing along to some of the tracks again.

Can't remember when I did that last ! Which means it's been too long.
(Picture credit - Theresa Snyder on Pinterest)

About those songs though !

The first one up for this list is that George Harrison opener to his Let It Roll collection, Got My Mind Set On You. A great post Beatles song, not sure about those lyrics now though ...

A lot of Cardigans tracks get me like this too, countless of them indeed. But the track I seem to keep coming back to is Algebra, from the first of the two A Camp albums and it was borrowed at one point for the tv series Haven. Oh ... here's another one ! I started this post with the intention of just one song per group but ... Communication is an awesome song that speaks to people like me on many levels. And the animated video is excellent.

A quick aside into instrumental music. This'll get you humming along too and the last track up was from the 90s game, Master of Magic. This was a game heavily inspired by Civilisation but was transplanted to a fantasy and magic world with great variation in the races and the addition of a tactical battle layer. It also had a fantastic set of music in there, albeit usually transmitted over crude FM synthesisers in the sound cards. (not finding a worthwhile link to the music though)

Another instrumental that's guaranteed to get me doing the chair bopping is Candyland by Tobu. One from the Non Copyrighted Sounds collection which are handy for streaming people, which is how I first heard it.

Going back a bit to the yoof days, we have the singers of groups like All About Eve and I'll always join in with Martha's Harbour. I grew up with the Anne McCaffrey Dragonriders of Pern books and Julianne Regan of AAE has always had the voice of one of the best characters of those books, Menolly. (The link is to the bonus version that has Apple Tree Man on it as well, another wonderful song from their first album)

I also grew up with Kate Bush, who can be tough to sing along to because of her incredible vocal range. But you gotta have a go anyway. I think the song for this collection is going to be Oh England, My Lionheart. A haunting song.

Talking of having a go, Alison Goldfrapp has as remarkable a voice as Kate Bush and uses it to devastating effect for Utopia. I think that's inspired by the Fritz Lang Metropolis movie.

After those years, I dived into an Alisha's Attic addiction and perhaps because the two sisters had diverse voices, it made it easier to sing along ? Maybe. The Incidentals is a really happy song to sing along to.

The Only Exception is a great one too, on a similar theme by Paramore.

One of the random tracks that popped up in the car on one of the trips lately was Fernando by Abba. Can you hear the drums ?

Hopefully we'll never get Stuck on one of those trips (Caro Emerald at her best).

I did catch the boss man quietly murmuring away to Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd on our last trip ... I especially like how on the album, the transition from the previous track is a listener changing the stations on the radio, finding a thread of music and then joining in.

And then there are the powerful songs like Laura by Bat For Lashes. I've known a few people called Laura and they've been wonderful people. I wonder who Natasha Khan's Laura was ?

Edie Brickell was another one I grew up with and Ghost Of A Dog was an especially poignant song. (No video because I'm not going to link to a rampant copyright thief !)

Something from way long ago which we've pretty much just rediscovered is the Jesus Christ Superstar album penned by Andrew Lloyd Webber. It's an excellent album, the bible story set to 80s rock music. Hosanna tempts you in ....


The weather here at the moment is pretty shocking but you shouldn't Blame It On The Weatherman. (B*witched)

What's next ? Garbage are still going strong, making mayhem and taking names. One of my favourites of their songs is Cherry Lips from the Beautiful album.

You shouldn't be Super Critical though, which is a great album from the Ting Tings. Best track and a definite one to join in on is Wrong Club.

I bet that club never plays Moves Like Jagger (Maroon 5)

This collection wouldn't be complete without something from the infectious, impish Little Boots and I'll go to Remedy from her first album. (note - video needs a flashies warning)

Another impish songstress is Norah Jones, latest of the tracks to play on my iTunes ... Let's see ... Oh yes. Man Of The Hour is a fun song.

Mindy Gledhill's songs have a definite joy that lifts the heart and makes you grin as you listen, like I Do Adore.

Last one. Ours was another car where Queen Greatest Hits tended to rule the popularity and ... Yep. You're about to be singing along to Bohemian Rhapsody again.

Nope. I have better. Yes. Better ! Star Trekkin' ... Across The Universe ... Best music video ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.