Thursday, January 10, 2019

Random Squirrel

SQUIRREL !

Up is a great film. I'd highly recommend you see it. Kinda connected to the pictures coming ? Concerning random squirrels though, I kinda wish I could show a picture or two of the squirrel-friends that run around the site at work. Can't take pictures at work though. They're quite brave squirrels ... we'll see them a lot running around the greenery between the paths.

Wait .... Squirrel !
I picked this up before Xmas from a new shop that's opened up in the centre of Bristol. It's another modelling and curiosity type shop and it sells various things including the Jigzle puzzle above from a site that can be found at www.greentanet.com . They have all sorts of things there, like animal kits, architecture, lifestyle, vehicles and movie tie ins. I am highly tempted to pick up another XWing, a Millennium Falcon, definitely their Star Trek Enterprise and they also have the Niffler.

And Dobbie. They have a Dobbie. (And a BB-8)
The first few bits. One thing I'd immediately say is that the laser cut wooden bits are not quite in tolerance (translation - they're not cut enough and are marginally too big) and they fit together very tightly. That means there's no free play between the bits, the models won't fall apart but ... you really shouldn't have to get a wood file, pliers or a hammer to help you put them together.
Yes. That is a hammer.
Coming together with a pair of front paws.
Almost there. The models are made up of a frame comprising large bits of wood and are rounded out by smaller pieces fitting in to more slots and grooves.
Job done ! But let's have a better look from another angle :
Click for bigger as per usual.

On the whole, an enjoyable kit to put together and the finished Random Squirrel is rather cute. Will I get some more from the site ? Quite likely actually. There are a couple of small pieces missing because some of the elements of wood broke away but I'll know to file the grooves open a little more for the next one.

This was a far more satisfying kit to put together than the attempt at a Metal Earth kit. I'll go back to those when they intimidate me less but I barely got the central fuselage of my Metal Earth XWing together before giving up. It was too fiddly and wasn't cooperating with the staying together while being put together thing.

Shiny !

Oh and the wood smells amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.