Thursday, January 14, 2016

Too many gone

It seems like we're losing too many titans at the moment.

Wait ... that's wrong.

If we lose just one titan of the par of David Bowie or Alan Rickman, it's too much. To lose both inside a week, definitely a massive loss. And that's not forgetting the others who have left us this year and at the end of last.

I don't usually mention things like this here, because I prefer to try and keep it to happier subjects. Plus you get to hear way more about it in the general media. This should be different. But I did want to bring out the Twibute Dwagons :
The original line was "By Grabthar's Hammer, you shall be avenged" and it was from a rather good film called Galaxy Quest. I'd recommend seeing it if you haven't already. Alan Rickman stole the show yet again playing a character that owed a little to Spock.

But he wasn't just about Galaxy Quest. He was in so many more films where his excellence in acting, including being able to master different characters (which is a failing in many actors, their characters are written as them) and stealing the show every time. I heard that his part in Robin Of Sherwood (the Costner movie) got watered down a bit because he was just so darn good. (And the movie was supposed to be about Robin, not the Sheriff).

And there are many more too.

Then there's David Bowie :
A little more work went into that Twibute Dwagon. (I feel a little cheap sometimes posting those - the words are mine but it takes so little time to do them now that it feels like I'm not putting enough effort in).

I wasn't a fan of all of David Bowie's work, like I will adore everything that certain other bands have done. But you cannot deny that he was a brilliant genius, flawed by not quite living in the same world as the rest of us. He just saw things different ways. And it was utterly amazing.

And it came out in songs like Starman, Heroes, Golden Years, Life On Mars ... need I go on ? You know them all. I really have to see Labyrinth again. It's been a while since I saw that film but I do remember his portrayal of the Goblin King to be utterly compelling.

And then there's Lemmy too !

Too many gone this year already.

And other bad news too, like finding out that a friend had been diagnosed with breast cancer. I hope she gets through it. She's a tough little lady so I bet she'll be around for a good long while.

I don't quite know how to end this one ... Except that your life is yours. Live it how you see fit. But live it. Don't miss out. We are not infinite, we need to take advantage of all the time that is given to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.