Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas thoughts

Post sparked by another thing spotted on the Facebook feed today :

"Sobering thoughts as we enter the holiday season...It is important to remember that not everyone is surrounded by large wonderful families. Some of us have problems during the holidays and sometimes are overcome with great sadness when we remember the loved ones who are not with us. And, many people have no one to spend these times with and are besieged by loneliness. We all need caring, loving thoughts right now. If I don't see your name, I'll understand. May I ask my friends wherever you might be, to kindly copy, paste, and share this status for one hour to give a moment of support to all those who have family problems, health struggles, job issues, worries of any kind and just need to know that someone cares. Do it for all of us, for nobody is immune. I hope to see this on the walls of all my friends just for moral support. I know some will! I did it for a friend and you can too!"

I very rarely pass on the chain stuff that appears on Facebook (there's a lot of it and it often has the "if you no share, bad thing happen ..." garbage) but I do make exceptions.

Ok, maybe I wanted to talk about what I'd be doing around Xmas and needed an excuse to prompt me !

I'm threadbare ragged at the moment. I badly need the break to get some energy back again. The healing has been going as well as I allow it (translation - on the whole, it's getting better) but being away from work and the conditions in the office will speed the recovery. It's unseasonably warm here and that's translating into the office being close to summer temperatures. Means I can't cool down quickly after the walk in from the bus.

So I'm looking forward to some chilling out time over the holidays. Some of that time will be with others, a lot will be on my own.

I'll spend a bit with the mum & dad & sister (and a few more people). I'll be with the Crazies a couple of times too. We're looking to go Hobbit Watching before Xmas and we usually have a Pizza + Movies meet up after too.

Presents ? I don't really do those any more. There's an upside and a downside to presents :
Upside - Free Stuff ! usually cool stuff.
Downside - the stress involved in getting something suitable. What to choose ? How do I get it in time ?
And there is that, not to be underestimated factor, of seeing that smile on the face of the person you got the gift fot that comes from you getting just the right thing.

Although that level of concern you'd only really save for someone really special. That sounds bad. All presents should be awesome for the person getting them. But there's a difference in the level of concern you give to different people's opinions. If I had a wife, I'd be more concerned about how they felt than how a colleague felt. I'd still be concerned but that concern would be on a whole different level.

There's still no prospective Mrs Sleepy's around. I've been waiting for the skin to normalise before even thinking about seeing if anyone is interested. However, I did spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about one particular person I was talking to after the team Xmas meal ;-)

And that brings me back to the quote that started the post off. I still have a few family members I can spend the holiday with. I have a small but highly valued circle of friends that occasionally grows a little as I meet more special people.

I'll have time on my own this Xmas - but that's partly to indulge the loner side of my personality. I have a lot of dichotomy in my head. I like my space but I also badly miss having someone else around. However, I have that choice. Others don't. I caught the person I mentioned above talking a bit about what she'd be doing. It sounded like work, work work. (Not good). Not much time for chilling out.

Besides, the best present anyone can have is knowing that someone will continue to be a valued friend for at least another year. Hugs are good too.

Yeah - I'll be on my own for a decent amount of this Xmas. I'll be recharging the batteries with a combination of sleep (I hope !), gaming, watching stuff and listening to music. However ... I'll get cabin fever at some point and will need to escape the house.

Soooo ... if there's anyone who sees themself in the quote above (and I do a little) and they're local and in need of a little company ? I'll listen ;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.