Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Diet Pills

Leg started getting worse again last week (I'm bored of it now and want the leaking to go away) so I gave in and saw the doctor ...

Result - diet pills.

Ok, they're not really diet pills (it's penicillin) but with instructions of "leave 2 hours after food and 1 hour before food", they're cutting in severely to my snacking time ! I have to take one 4 times a day too but I've figured out how to weave that into a breakfast, lunch & dinner cycle.

I suspect that cycle would have stopped me raiding, as it stops me from having dinner until after 7, which is when the raids are due to start. We've not been raiding much recently though and I've not been signing up to the New Content progress raids anyway due to stuff I've posted before :

Bored with the game
No motivation to join the progress raids
Silly rules being brought in

Been at Warcraft for a long time and I remember the challenge of the game as it was early on. It used to be a lot tougher, with you needing to think about tactics needed to get the enemies down. I reckon that's where the game has lost something, both in content and player skill. Skill isn't really needed in Warcraft now, just a memory of what to avoid. That's what the raid boss fights are : knowing what to do when the "One Mistake And Everyone's Dead" mechanic kicks in. I find those mechanics contrived and boring, although the boredom comes with knowing there's people in the group who will blatantly not be wary of the mistake triggers.

Hoping for better from Star Wars The Old Republic, which is coming "soon". I suspect diving into the Star Wars world, albeit a few thousand years before the movies, will get the desire to see content back. I'm even struggling for the single player gaming at the moment, my main PC has been cruising in No Game Mode* for at least one night when I could have been gaming and this will be another.

*No Game Mode - the original Windows on my main PC is hopelessly broken due to a combination of Kaspersky and other apps (I blame copy protection malware that you are forced to install). To game, I have to go to another Windows install on a second hard drive.

I'll not be gaming tonight, which means I've missed a week's worth of MC farming. Oh well. Gaming should be done for fun, not as a second job. That's one reason I struggle to keep going with the MMOs like Eve and Warcraft, the amount of grinding (repetitive tasks) time required detracts from the fun aspect of the game, especially when Expectations get piled on you from people in the corp or guild.

What can make that worse is when there's a perception that the people telling you to do stuff are not pulling their weight. You should only ask people to do stuff that you are willing to do yourself. At work, I'd happily do the filing and some of the other mundane stuff but ... I know there's a few people in the team already trained up to do that who will get bored if I take all their work away from them. They know what to do, so I let 'em get on with it and they're good enough to do it better than I can. On the other hand, I'm much better at analysis and engineering which is what I'm there to do :-)

You can cause trouble by being too keen - especially when you do the Bull In China Shop thing and trample on stuff someone has carefully set up.

Yep - gaming is suffering a bit at the moment. Or at least the online stuff is, we're looking to restart the DnD group soon. That's multiplayer gaming but with pens & paper on a table top. There's a bit more time to think about what you're going to do with pen & paper stuff and you don't lose the ability to chat to your groupmates.

Pen & Paper has one major advantage over Voice Comms - you can share the munchies instead of listening to the occasional nomnomnom over Mumble :-)

Other stuff - if I can get away early enough, I may well be looking at a car tomorrow ... It's in Cheltenham though which is at least half an hour away before traffic. It's £1000 cheaper than Lincoln as well as being closer. I cleared the car out earlier (needs portable vacuum though) but have a bit more prep to do in the shape of getting Car Change documents together.

And then there's the PC upgrade ... I bought Deus Ex Human Revolution last week, which looks awesome. It's easily the best graphics I've seen so far, even though I have the options turned down a bit. New bits would definitely help out there.

Doh ! I started typing about the Diet Pills and they appear to have Verbal Diarrhoea as a side effect. I've been typing so long it's almost time to take the next one.

What I am doing is chilling out to the Julianne Regan Mice album which really benefits from the decent hifi kit. Plenty of effects and clever stuff in the production and mixing coupled with Julianne Regan's sublime and unique voice. This comment was triggered by seeing an Imelda May advert come on - Imelda May's group is based around a poor, weak imitation of a music style that died out decades ago ! She's NOISE ! Why is it being hammered so much ? Maybe because it's so bad it needs the hammering to get into double figure sales numbers.

Lol - After that mini rant it's time for a chill pill and more Julianne Regan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.