Monday, November 22, 2010

Just watched : Alice in Wonderland

One of my favourite films of 2010 was Alice in Wonderland :


We kinda knew what to expect with this one when the Crazie Mob went to see it in the movies at the start of the year. Curiouser and Curiouser went the Crazies as this rather delightful movie unfolded before us.

Most movie adaptations follow the books they came from, some more loosely than others. It takes a brave crew to totally redo the tale. What we have here is an utterly charming tale of rabbits, March hares, mad hatters, Evil and Good Queens, knavely knaves, strange creatures and the wonderful Alice at the centre of it all.

It caught the 3d fashion but I have to admit, I never saw it in 3d. Before watching it again tonight, I watched a couple of the extras which gave me pointers on things to look for (the colour of the Mad Hatter's outfits ...). And then I started watching and forgot all that. A movie/book shouldn't be about the tricks in play, it should be about the story. And they've done very well here.

I don't want to say much more, as a movie as good as this needs to be watched to allow its tale to bring the viewer with it. Let's just say, watch this movie and you will finish with a :

Guaranteed. It's my Movie of the year.

Ninja-edit - oops. I'd forgotten how brilliant Inception was. Alice = 2nd best movie of the year.

3 comments:

  1. It had its moments......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this one yet but it's on my list. I can't remember if it was this year or the end of last but my favourite movie of the last 12 months (ish) is Avatar and I don't give a damn that it's Pochahontas being retold. All the best stories are! :) I also love the new Star Trek film which I have watched so mnay times now that I have lost count!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep - waiting for Avatar to go down to a reasonable price before buying it. I picked up Alice in Wonderland in the 2 for £25.

    Hmm - not watched the new Star Trek on the new kit yet. Maybe that's next after I have the recorded stuff backlog out the way :-)

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.