Friday, November 12, 2010

All sorts

Muahaha - it's not often I admit straight up that a post will be an All Sorts, even though they usually end up as that.

In an hour, another year will have gone by and there will be another ring on the tree. I'll be celebrating that with a pizza tomorrow night and enjoying another movie (or two). I'll see what turns up tomorrow. I've been good so far. The only parcel opened so far is the one that was started by the Postman.

That led to a bit more "evaluation" of the new hifi :-) Awesome. Blu-ray arrived called The Book Of Eli, which tells the tale of one man's walk across America with a book. It's an unusual film, well worth watching. Not that many films make my dvd/blu-ray list nowadays (blu-rays are too pricey still) but this was a fairly quick addition. (Lol - not as quick as RED and Iron Man 2 but close).

It's added itself to my Reference Sound movies. What's a Reference movie ? It's one that shows off a particular aspect to a very high degree of quality. For Star Wars, it was the surround effect of the Tie Fighters whizzing around in space. In this one, you can hear the bullets go past you. Plus there's some more really smart things on show with the sound coming through. Very clean soundtrack with lots of surround effects to put you in the moment.

Will have to watch the Blade movies again soon, as they are also fantastic for the sound field they set up. Perhaps not as good as Book of Eli turned out to be, I had a pleasant Wow surprise there tonight.

Yes, I've been won over by the new hifi. Since going back to the older Novatech cables, I've watched 3 movies with no sign of the audio skipping out. Good signs. The set up is proving very effective at pulling out the detail from what it's been given. That detail shows in things like hearing guitars as a string instrument or drums having a proper rumble to them. I'm now listening to The Trick To Life by The Hoosiers and looking forward to finishing with listening to occasional individual tracks from Katie Melua's Pictures as that's sounding good so far. (I listen to individual tracks before listening to the album as a whole - let's me pick out favourites better)

So - birthday tomorrow. Another year older. Don't think I'm much wiser, although a job change has led to me learning a lot more over the past year. Still no joy with finding someone to share the toys with me, although I did get the customary greeting of "PETER PIPER !" from the Little Canteen Girl :-) I've been missing those because she's been hiding in the kitchen area lately where she doesn't get as much chance to have fun with the customers. Yesterday pm had a
LCG : "I bet you've been missing me"
Me : "Of course !" (and I'd have added a little more in jest if I thought quicker than Snailpace around pretty ladies)
A photographic memory (photo but not "perfect") can be a good thing sometimes, those memories will have me grinning for a while.

Not been on the games that much lately. Another sign of age has been that the old injuries have been passing reminders and the new injuries haven't healed up so well. At the moment, it's the shoulder bugging me. I know I need to get it looked at - however a huge distrust of doctors and hospitals is getting in the way. And it'll need a hospital trip for definite to get it sorted out. I can do emergency maintenance on it to stop my arm being numb but that's not a healthy thing to do.

Certain games are better for the arms, other games are worse. I think it's to do with the amount of rest period you can have in the game. Online games tend to not come with a pause button, so you keep on going until you get to a certain point where you can break. That leads to more stress on the limbs compared to offline games where you can be a bit more relaxed.

Nah - been reading instead of gaming lately. Just finished the Lost Fleet series of 6 books by Jack Campbell. I've mentioned these before and finally got to reading the last book. After struggling through 300 of 1000 pagess of David Weber and then giving up for a few months, the last Lost Fleet book got read through inside a week. It's good stuff and very easy to read. I'm now into a Warhammer 40k book called Rynn's World, about space Orks invading.

Reading is a very relaxing to do while iTunes is running through my library. Speaking of which ... Tis random tracks followed by the Doctor Who series 4 soundtrack which will accompany the first battle for Rynn's World :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.