Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Must give myself a chance ...

Tired again. Not really knowing which day of the week it is, which is usually a sure sign I'm needing to take some time off work again.

No chance ! Not until Easter at least, so I'll be kicking myself along mistreating myself for another 5 weeks. When you're feeling below par, it's always good to have a target to go for. A target to aim at so you can keep the energy going until the time comes to Reeeelax.

I don't have much sympathy for myself though this time around, I never do with self inflicted wounds :-) The reaction I give to self inflicted wounds tends to be "pointy finger - HAHA!" Nope, not much sympathy there.

So what's brought on the tiredness ? Lots of late nights playing games :-) (little bit of Olympics too)

Ah ha ! The lightbulb goes on for why I don't have much sympathy for me being tired ... Gotta admit, my lightbulb seems to be an Energy Saving lightbulb. You know when an idea finally sinks in to someone and it's like a light's gone on ? Well, energy saving bulbs take a few more moments to turn on and they're a bit dimmer.

Lots of stuff going on at work at the moment :-) Which is never a bad thing. I get a kick out of getting things done and dusted. I'd far rather be over busy than bored. And I can get bored very easily. We're preparing for one fella leaving the project, which makes a gap which I'll be stepping into.

That means I finally have confirmation on where I'll be working next month :-) I like a bit of security, it can be surprising how deeply uncertainty can affect people. I wrote a bit about uncertainty stress a little while ago. It's no coincidence that since I got the news of being headhunted for the gap, my confidence has risen dramatically with my effectiveness also going up. I'm just glad I'll be in a post that's not as much a poisoned chalice as some of the ones that I've seen advertised.

Challenge is good but professional suicide isn't. And some of the advertised posts step over into "DO NOT TOUCH WITH BARGEPOLE" territory due to asking too much from too few with too little. We're used to producing miracles and will continue to do so :-)

Preferably without dying while trying, so I'll see about getting some decent sleep over the next few days. That's why I'm feeling tired, I need 6-7 hours sleep a night minimum and late night gaming and Olympics watching has been shortchanging me on that.

Other stuff - got the car back, proved to myself along the way that I can still walk at over 4mph. Proud of that, the walk from Newport station took 28 minutes to do about 2.1 miles. That's not the full walk, 2.1 miles is when I got stuck waiting at a crossing, before that I lost maybe a minute. As I get more years, I like reminders that I'm not old and decrepit just yet and pushing for targets like that is one way I can remember how quick I can be.

Ahh - the car. By rights, I should have been livid at a £600 bill for parts not covered under the warranty. But when you're being told that by a young lady who just happens to be dazzingly cute and delicate, being stunned makes the anger evaporate as you try not to gaze :-) I shall have to do something about my tendency to cave when a pretty lady smiles. And I forgot to ask for a phone number :-( Doh !

Been enjoying the car, changing the inlet manifold and throttle control box seems to have given it maybe 20-30 more bhp. It had decent power before but now it has a lot more urge, as I was having fun finding out last night on the way back from gaming :-)

Games - Finished Mass Effect 2 and unlike Dragon Age (got bored, not gone back) I'm very impressed with this one. It's maybe a bit linear in how it presents what you do but there's sufficient scope in there. The town type areas are much more limited than in the first game but it makes up for that by far more detail in the combat and mission areas. The first game had you go through a limited set of identikit bases, the second is like playing levels in a first person shooter. The levels are all different and well thought out.

Top marks for Mass Effect 2 :-) However, the game that's kicked off the tiredness in a big way is Moo2. Here's a link to a bit more on Moo2. Let's just say here that this game has the power to keep me at the keyboard from 5pm on a Saturday through to 3am on a Sunday morning, kept going by raiding the biscuits with the Mini Egg supply also being mysteriously depleted ... It's a strategy game that still offers an interesting test as while I've discovered ships as unbalanced against the AI as the Ori ships in Stargate, the game can still beat me on Impossible.

Uhoh - I think I hear another Moo2 game calling ... I shall have to be very careful when I fire up Eve to put in a skill queue update.

2 comments:

  1. I love the analogy of the energy saving thought bulb :)

    you do need to take care of yourself though - are you eating more than pizza? ;)

    glad you have your car back

    ReplyDelete
  2. The energy saving bulb thing probably comes from me using one in my main room now ... Dimmer than before and takes a while to warm up ...

    Had pizza last night :-) I'll eat better tonight though as I'm heading out as soon as the washing machine finishes its business.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.