Sunday, February 14, 2010

Be my ... wingman ?

Most people will have one or two days of the year that are kinda like set aside as "Bad Days". 14th Feb is one of mine, it's a more jabbing reminder of missing having the excuse to pamper a special someone.

While I'm not the kind of person who will go out every night and I definitely avoid night clubs like the plague, I do enjoy heading out for a meal or a movie. Could be part of cabin fever, there will also be a hefty bit of wanting a better meal than I typically provide myself :-). I could cook much better if I put my mind to it but I'd rather be watching something or doing something while my meal is quietly cooking (burning?) away in the kitchen.

I'm kinda addicted to Input, I don't do well when nothing's happening, I'll get bored and look for something to perk up my interest. Like at the moment, I'm listening to iTunes while tapping this entry and I've just attempted to lip-read the lovely Isobel Lang doing the weather on Sky News. Or at work where I'm always very curious as to what the BM girls are getting up to. (There's less of them now because 2 have moved on)

I think that's why I miss being in a partnership. Whereas the outside world and PC games can be very predictable, ladies are definitely not. They keep you guessing as to how they'll react to what you do and keep you on your toes for not forgetting the important things. I also get a huge kick out of subterfuge, the art of surprising people. I'm pretty good at that too, I can usually hide the setups for surprises that I pull on people like the leaving certificates tailored to people who leave our part of the team at work.

But I do miss being able to chat for ages to someone special, to help them out or be helped back in return. Someone to steal the popcorn before I get my mitts on it. A person who'll be able to keep up when my Geek Sense takes over what I'm talking about. (This was the biggest problem with Evil Ex, I hadn't realised how much I was holding myself back). It'd help if she was a cricket nut too :-)

So that's why today's not one I tend to look forward to - I'd like to treat someone to a meal+movie, there's just not the opportunity presenting itself. Thought I was on to something with the Little Canteen Girl, she's a very likeable pintsized package of fun and attitude. I bet she definitely makes life interesting for the lad who comes into our canteen with a Huge Wide Smile when he arrives to take her home.

To take the edge off the loneliness a bit I'll be heading back into Eve online later. The Wordless Wednesday post had the "Surrender The Booty" t-shirt, especially for a little fleet we had on Wednesday evening running around our local space. It was fun, I learned a bit more about handling a little ship in the Player v Player stuff. I've been around Eve for years and have read around the theory a huge amount but I've got little or no experience in fleet situations. The Eve people are a good mob but maybe a little quiet, it can take a couple of noisy people like me and Luth to get them going.

Yep - fun but we ended up getting our collective butts kicked by a much superior fleet at the end of the night. I'll be naming one of my future ships "Brave Sir Robin", after my contribution seemed to add up to RUN AWAY :-). I got shot at three times and bravely legged it each time :-)

I've also been distracted away by the Mass Effect 2 game that just came out, which is an absolute cracker. I like the way they've tied in what happened in the first game as well as the contents of the two Mass Effect books published so far. It's a different game to the first in a number of ways but what's come out this time is some truly demonic humour. They've handled "passage of time" extremely well too, by showing that the universe it's set in has moved on.

So, been keeping myself distracted but it would have been better if I'd have had someone shouting along with me today while watching England make hard work of Italy in the rugby. Or even someone giving me a strange "Don't be silly" look.

Got a bit more stress at the moment too - on Tuesday night the car started making Whizz-whizzy-SLAP noises from inside the engine bay, as if a motor or belt is trying to spin up before getting unexpectedly stopped. It kicked off as I was pulling up to a roundabout and kept on going as I made my way to Tescos. It got me home and it's going in for warranty stuff on Tuesday. Hopefully it'll get there ok, although I'll be nervously taking it very slow.

Been on the bus all week, which has got me thinking a bit as to "do I really need to take the car in?" For bus - more walking = more exercise = hopefully reduction in girth. Against bus - dependent on bus times, less flexibility in taking that after work trip to window shop the Mall. I'd also need a bag so I could take work stuff to and from work (not something I need to do much). Cost isn't really an issue, my car is greedy and petrol has come up so much that £14/week for an all week bus ticket is actually closer to petrol cost than you might think.

Arrrg - I've rabbited on again and it's getting dark enough that I'm having to retype stuff due to not seeing which key is which.

Time to close again and think of another year going by without having the excuse to make 14th Feb special for someone. E-Harmony ads are looking more tempting ! Although I do wonder if there's a Princess waiting for me from a bit closer ...

1 comment:

  1. Faint heart never won fair lady right? Try the e-Harmony route. Nothing ventured, nothing gained :)

    Hope the car is all better soon!

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.