Monday, August 03, 2009

Geek frustration

Hmm

This time a few days ago, I was looking forward to having a first look at Windows 7 before giving it a good n thorough going over ...

I'm a bit frustrated though, my Inner Geek is looking for wayz n meanz to keep itself amused. The Windows 7, short as it is, has gone on to my techie blog but to save technophobes deciphering what's on there it took one look at my desktop PC and burst out laughing :-). Probably a good thing too cos you could sum up the Windows 7 flirtation as :

Objective of trying Windows 7 - to answer the question "is it worth buying this software ?"

To which the answer is a comprehensive "NOOO!". Lol. Nothing to do with Windows 7, more to do with the hardware that I have available. It's actually been one of the better Testing Things I've done because :

The objective has been answered (muahahaha - I'm carefully avoiding the words "success" and "achieved").
There's been zero disruption to my PCs.
I've got my answer with the minimum of time, effort & hair loss.
I've saved £80 that I can spend on pizza, movies and popcorn.

Result !

But my Inner Geek is now a little put out at being frustrated out of an opportunity to look at something new, which is probably why I spent a fair bit of the Cricket-Watching-On-Sofa time yesterday reading the Ubuntu installation manual. Ubuntu is a piece of absolutely free software that runs your computer but it's a little different to the Windows stuff everyone else uses. I've seen what it's based on before but that was over 10 years ago.

Shame about no result in the cricket today, although it does put us one game closer to regaining the Ashes. 1-0 up with 2 games to play. If England win either of the next two, then we win the series. If the weather beats the teams, then England win too. Fingers crossed for England winning it the right way, which will have us giving the Aussies a thumping in the next two games.

No pen & paper gaming tonight sadly, so I'm now chilling out to Paramore on iTunes (Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene is queued up for later) and if I have enough time later, it's Queen's A Kind Of Magic.

2 comments:

  1. I see from the weatherpixie that it is still raining

    love your music choices

    Hope sends hugs to Uncle Pete :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - it was downpour for a fair bit of yesterday but the Yellow Face came out to play later.

    And we had enough clear sky overnight to inspire a Facebook comment of :

    "has just spotted a Big Round White Thing in the sky. Must ... resist ... urge ... to ... howl ... at ... it ..."

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.