Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cinema killed by credit crunch ?

Watched Max Payne tonight - it's another movie made out of a game ...

The evening started in Preview Bar & Grill, a restaurant close to the cinema. They're always worth going to but tonight, even at about 5.30, it was empty ! There was us Crazies plus about 1 or 2 other groups. Bar man was so bored he was polishing glasses.

It was the same thing in the cinema too, which is surprising seeing as there's a few high profile films out there at the moment. No-one there ! Max Payne had about 10 people in a cavern of a cinema. Ok, it's not Wednesday where there's a 2 for 1 deal going and it's not a Friday night or a weekend but empty cinema ? Felt weird. Maybe it was a little early to get the people in.

Anyway, how was Max Payne ? I think I'd describe it as "better than Wanted", "Punisher with the charm removed" or "wannabe Sin City without the credibility". A shame, cos the game was supposed to be really good (it's a first person shooter and one I missed out on). There's a few game tie ins done, some are much better than others. I enjoy watching the Tomb Raider films for more than Angelina Jolie, because they're good fun to watch. Resident Evil is another "good" film tie in, it's scary as well as a gripping action film. Will be having another Resident Evil night sometime I think.

Hitman's another good film-game tie in, because it retains a sense of style along with its very dark humour. Again, that's a game I've never played too. The film-game tie ins sometimes work well but often you'll get a Max Payne or real stinkers like the Dungeons and Dragons movies.

Ah well - some films are good, some films are poor. Some films are so bad they're actually highly amusing. But I wouldn't count Max Payne as one of those. Right - I'm almost all out of snacks, so it's time to pick up some munchies so I can stare at them while watching the Ice Road Truckers in 30 minutes :-)

Time to close with weird thing of the day. Normal History channel is giving the Blue Screen Of No Signal. History +1 hour channel is giving a crystal clear picture. They're only 1 separate on the box ! My mind is boggling ...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:12 pm

    I can totally imagine you sitting with my honey and discussing movies lol. He's a movie buff as well as a trained Lighting Technician on set.

    There's not a whole lot out there right now that catches my interest any though. My partner is impatiently waiting for the release of Watchman. I think it takes him back to his younger days and he's excited to see what they've done with the movie. I just hope he's not going to be disappointed lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a trailer for Watchman before Max Payne - looks amazing :-)

    And if they continue the form from Iron Man, the second Iron Man film and The Avengers should be outstanding too :-)

    The Day The Earth Stood Still could be interesting, although I wouldn't mind seeing the first one again so I can compare.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.