Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thursday Thirteen - weather

The inspiration for this week's Thursday Thirteen struck while at work yesterday. We've had an odd summer this year, days of bright sunshine like today have been rather few, sandwiched between torrential downpours. No floods like last year, which is a blessing. We've been having a bit of fun in the office with this one and a special mention goes out to Mrs C who has been full of ideas. Enough ideas in fact, to make it possible for this Thirteen to maybe get repeated next week but with older songs instead of the newer ones here !

Right - enough wittering, on with the 13 :-) I've put in Youtube links where they're available but there are some obscure ones in here ... Enjoy !



Thirteen Things about Seasonal Songs

1.... Crowded House - Weather With You. I love this song, great one to open with.
2.... Cloudbusting by Kate Bush. Could have had The Big Sky here from Kate Bush but Cloudbusting is a far better song :-)
3.... Rainy Days And Mondays by The Carpenters. Karen has one of the most beautiful voices ever to hit the airwaves.
4.... Gonna Buy A Hat by Chris Rea (lyrics only). This one's from the Dancing With Strangers album and was away from my iTunes collection for far, far too long.
5.... It's not quite November Rain yet but here's a great song from Guns & Roses.
6.... We were saying "Here Comes The Rain Again" rather a lot yesterday. One from Eurythmics.
7.... But at least we haven't said "Here Comes The Flood" like at some points last year. This one's from Peter Gabriel's first album.
8.... Sometimes I find it rather restful when "I Listen To The Rain". One of the highlight's of Beverly Craven's career here.
9.... There's a few metal fans out there who I know keep up with this blog, this one's especially for them : Flood by the Sisters Of Mercy.
10.. One of my most favourite groups has always been Dire Straits, It Never Rains is from the Love Over Gold album.
11... Purple Rain by Prince. No Youtube link cos Prince seems to be banned from there ...
12.. Blame it on the Weatherman by B*witched. Cos when it rains, we know exactly who's responsible. Been trying for ages to find the albums these girls did !
13.. Here Comes The Sun sung by George Harrison. Because the sun has decided to get his hat on today ! Another singer who's voice I love, it's a great shame that he was taken from us too early.



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Got another Thirteen coming on the same theme next week but it'll have classical music and show music on instead. I'm still looking for clues on that one though - We've thought of 7 between Mrs C and me, so that makes 6 more needed ;-)

5 comments:

  1. It's a good collection!

    Michele sent me here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prince is not banned from YouTube....but he does have a reputation for personally scouring the Internet for copyright violations. I don't know if there is anywhere Prince has put up videos himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about Karen Carpenter - a pure voice, so wonderful to listen to.

    I too am a big dire straits fan :)

    one of my favorite weather'ish songs is "I Can't Stand the Rain" by Tina Turner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping for another good collection on this coming Thursday, although I might hold off for a week or so to get a full 13 of old movie and classical weather songs.

    Yeah, probably is that time around - after seeing a few "This isn't Prince but we're masquerading it as him" videos on Youtube, I gave up looking ...

    I Can't Stand The Rain was one of Mrs C's ideas :-) But I didn't know the track so didn't put it in there ... Raining Men is another that just missed out ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have an amazing ear for great music! I need to spend more quality time with the artists who jazz me.

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.