Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Looking forwards to ...

As the current crisis continues, it's starting to feel a bit strange like the days are blurring into each other.

I think that's actually a good thing, as one way to not notice the passage of time as a thing is to not pay that much attention to it. Sounds strange that doesn't it. One of the more memorable things I picked up from Star Trek Next Generation and Cdr Data's journey was the thing about "A watched pot never boils". He does the scientific experiments on it and whatever he does, the test kettle always boils in exactly the same time. Except when he turns off his internal chronometer, is distracted (I think cuddling Spot!) and the kettle boils as a surprise.

Gosh that's an odd one to start off the post with.
^^ I even ventured out to get the shopping tonight. Acquired 2 small Easter Eggs (there are still some left) as well. One is currently mysteriously disappearing. I grabbed a bunch of other stuff too and shouldn't have to head out for over a week again.

I'm doing the work at home thing as well but one difference from last year is that whereas last year, I was getting out and about looking at Stuff, the only period I've done that this year is the Canada thing. Hopefully more of that later in the year. You get a lot more context about the kit, how it works, what it does that you weren't expecting, when you see it in action. You don't get that sat behind a desk.

It'll be good to see the work people as well and see that they're all coming through ok. One thing that's going to be really tough is that the statistics say that at least a few of the people we all know won't make it. Hopefully for me that'll be zero and everyone I know will come through this ok. The only thing I can do to impact though is to not endanger them by being the source of the risk.

But enough of that, this was supposed to be more about things to look forwards to when we get to go out again.
Hopefully lots of places to be. For me, there are going to be the highlights of :

Bookbarn. This is a nice chilled out place with an absolute avalanche of books and a nice little coffee shop too. Even better visiting it with a friend and helping them carry away the books that you persuaded them to buy.

Cardiff. Here we have the Book Cave, the sweet shop and there's also the Lego shop too ... And you can get a nice chilled out wander over there too. Cardiff is a big hot spot though, so ... maybe this one will be in a good while.

Bristol centre ? Not so thrilled about Bristol centre these days. One issue with the raising of the business rates is that the smaller curiosity shops closed and moved out. There's less of interest around these days, although again it's a nice little chilled out wander.

Heading out with friends. I know a few very special people and it's great to catch up over a meal out and / or a movie.
Popcorn and a movie. I nearly caught a movie on the last few days that the cinemas were open but wasn't feeling it. It'll be good to get out to the movies again with a big bucket of popcorn salty enough to make your lips feel like they're burning. And to see a great movie too. I don't think I'll care too much what I see, I'll just be very happy seeing movies again.

Getting out in the fresh air again, maybe a long walk. I'm not getting much exercise at the moment and I'll definitely feel that when I ask my legs to be doing stuff again.
I always look forwards to Comic Con every year. Hopefully we get one this year. The London and Birmingham venues are currently Nightingale hospitals.

The cricket too ! That's in severe danger of not happening at all I think. The Lords days are long days but it's great to chill out in that stadium watching the cricket in a quiet area away from the more dense areas of the crowd.

And lots of other places too. I've had Bristol's Planetarium in my list of things to see for a number of years now. It'd be good to do some day runs into the Cotswolds too. Bristol Aquarium ? Portsmouth ? Perhaps.

Yep. Plenty of things to see out there.

I would sound a note of caution though ...
When the restrictions are lifted, be a bit cautious still. I'm not really thinking virus there, I'm thinking attitudes. There will be a huge number of people out there who have a sense of immortality due to surviving. There will be the people who have got used to not being responsible. There will be the people who are just normally incredibly reckless.

You will see these people out there around you if you venture out at the moment. Better believe that when restrictions lift, these people will be out and about crowding without a care in the world. Hopefully it doesn't lead to a resurgance in the virus but I'm not really thinking of that, I'm thinking more of accidents on the roads, general poor behaviour and huge crowds. General craziness on a level we haven't seen before.

Personally, I get a bit wobbly when I'm in crowds anyway. I have a kind of Too Many People alarm that goes off and I'll want to escape to peace and quiet for a while. I think the throngs that we'll see will definitely trigger too many people anxiety feelings.

So ... be careful, be wary, watch out for other people being silly but most of all :
Have fun. Be safe. Stay at home for now, dream of when we're allowed to get out there again. Make plans ! I don't think it matters that those plans won't have a date they can happen yet. Just keep in mind what you're going to be looking forward to after the isolation periods finish. And the more discipline we have now, the sooner we'll be able to get out and about again.

Have a great evening everyone :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.