Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Adventures in Space

Back to work yesterday ! Kinda.

We're still in working from home mode but I was mostly ready to go back. There's a weird kind of anxiety at the moment where the uncertainty over the incubation period of covid makes you wonder if a wheeze is a sign of impending virus or if it's just allergies.

I'm pretty certain it's just allergies (because I've been isolating at home for almost all of the last few weeks) but that anxiety tends to kick when you don't want it to.

Hope everyone reading this is ok.

Right - that's anxieties logged and hopefully able to be moved on from ... I've been thinking about new games to follow from the ones I'm in at the moment. I'm also tackling Arthur C Clarke's Rama 2 which is frustrating from some points of view, curious from others. It reads better so far than some of his others. More of that when I finish it.
There have been more journeys of Tea-89 ... Seen there discovering an Earth Like world while venturing across from the Galactic Core.
I found a good place to stop too on Monday. Very rugged.
Looked better in the daylight, although it can be tough to get the perspective to really show off how rugged some of these planets can be.
Can't land on planets with atmospheres yet though, that isn't in the game yet.
That session finished with me visiting a gas giant world that's been dubbed The Palantir. Shiny. It had some moons as well, which saw me finding a good spot to park up ...
A fairly rare shot for me showing the detail at the stern of the ship. I like the detail, from where the engines are, to where that rear hatch is. Detail is good.
Nice impact crater too and a planet bringing out that lovely paint job.

It hasn't all been Elite though (I'm somewhat looking to ration the time there so I don't break my hands on it). The Mass Effect Andromeda run is coming to a finish, that's been an epic one.
Stunning visuals for that place and ultra low gravity giving opportunities for hang time with the jumps.
Nice looking ships too.

I think it'll be Deus Ex Mankind Divided after finishing Andromeda. After being addicted to Deus Ex Human Revolution and keenly anticipating DXMD, I bounced off the sequel quite hard partly due to experiencing technical problems. I have a different graphics card now though and an upgrade ... so it should do better.

Another different one is Mordheim ... which is more a tactical game. It doesn't need twitch reactions, so it's a more relaxed playing style. But it's brutal ...
OUCH ! That was a really tough start and the second try was almost as bad ! Sleepy von Dwagon died the first time and got brain damage on the second attempt. I'll try again at some point. Just gotta get the dice rolls in my favour for a change.

There's a thing in gaming that started with XCom ... beware the 95% chance to hit, because the game (or luck) may have a bias built in. You go for that almost certain chance, knowing that missing causes certain doom and ... whoosh, miss, bad things happening. XCom does that, Mordheim does that, Blood Bowl definitely messes with your mind like that.

But we still go back to play them :-D.

Stay safe, be well, hope your sanity is more intact than mine can get after a Xcom / Blood Bowl / Mordheim session. And if you're getting frustrated at something that's supposed to be fun, give it a break for a bit, come back refreshed with more ideas for how to win.

Cya !

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.