Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday Thirteen - Music from the decades

This one's inspired by a Facebook group :-)

The idea is to go through the decades, posting one track a day. You start with the first decade, post 3 songs (over 3 days) and then go through successive decades. I'm in the 70s at the moment. But ... I thought :

4 decades,
3 songs per decades,
That's almost perfect for a music theme T13! (with an extra bonus).

I've got it slightly wrong though as it should really be Age 0-10 (1974 to 1984), 11 to 20 (1985 to 1994), 21 to 30 (1995 to 2004) and 31 to 37 (2005 onward). Muahaha - that's an idea for a future T13 with tracks I couldn't include here :-).

1970s :

1 - Wish You Were Here from Pink Floyd. This is an all time classic and quite possibly the best track ever by Pink Floyd.

2 - Don't Stop Me Now from Queen. When we went anywhere of any distance in the car, Queen's greatest hits 1 would invariably be put on the radio.

3 - Nobody Does It Better by Carly Simon. This is the theme tune from the Bond film "The Spy Who Loved Me", which not only has one of the better Bond theme tunes but it also has Barbara Bach as the Bond Girl ... And I just happen to have a weakness when it comes to pretty dark haired ladies ...

1980s :

4 - Martha's Harbour by All About Eve. Such a beautiful track. This was on one of the first cd's I owned and is definitely still one of my favourite tracks. We even owned this on 7" single (and I want the B-Side).

5 - California Dreamin' by River City People. This was one of those sit up and listen tracks when they burst onto Top of the Pops with it. Yes, it's a cover version but it was also a good intro into their own material. Another incredible voice here ...

6 - Sweet Dreams from Bat For Lashes. This is a cover for Radio 1's Live Lounge which showcased Bat For Lashes centred by Natasha Khan who shows off her voice with great effect here. This was another intro for a new artist who has gone on to come out with some incredible material of her own. Oh and she's also extremely cute with that long dark hair thing.

1990s :

7 - Indestructible by Alisha's Attic. Saw this one completely out of the blue on Saturday morning TV. And following that, I own all 3 albums (plus collection) and as many of their B-Sides as I could get my mitts on. There's a reason I used the nickname Alisha's Addict for a while :-)

8 - It Can't Rain All The Time by Jane Siberry. When I was involved in my first long term serious relationship, there was a film we ended up going to a silly number of times. That film was The Crow (with Brandon Lee) and this was one of its signature songs from the soundtrack.

9 - My Favourite Game by The Cardigans. This isn't one of my favourites of their's but it's the one that really got them going (as well as Lovefool). It's signature Cardigans as it's not just Nina Persson's voice, it's how they combine it with the band that made the Cardigans great.

2000s :

10 - Let it Will Be by Madonna. The thing about Madonna is that she keeps reinventing herself but still sounds amazing every time. (Album version sounds much better than that "official" video though). One of the first albums I owned was Madonna's Like A Virgin but the energy in Confessions On A Dance Floor makes it my favourite of the Madonna albums I own.

11 - I Can't See New York by Tori Amos. Couldn't go through this list without a Tori Amos track. Before Alisha's Attic, I was collecting Tori Amos B-Sides ... Tori Amos is a little inconsistent but this shows her at her ultimate best. Amazing voice combined with a virtuoso performance on not one but two pianos. What a talent ...

12 - Empire Ants by Gorillaz. And now for something completely different ... Plastic Beach is a future classic album and I've included this track because it marks me breaking out of the music I had been interested in before and into new groups and new styles. This is the highlight of Plastic Beach for me as it builds into something that bursts more into life later on.

Bonus track :

13 - The Man With the Child In His Eyes by Kate Bush. Another singer I'm a huge fan of, although more her earlier work than the more recent stuff. Every track is a treat of ethereal vocals.

Can you tell what I'm most a fan of yet ? :-)

2 comments:

  1. Nice choices. It is so hard to narrow it down to 3 tracks for each decade!

    I suspect you are a fan of female voices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol - rumbled ... Although there should really be people like A-Ha, Snow Patrol and Dire Straits in there too ... I guess it's because I imagine the female voices are singing just to me.

    Picking out some for an alternate one of Age 0-10, 11-20, 21-30, 30-21again now :-)

    Oh - Julianne Regan = always been voice of Menolly for me

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.