Monday, September 19, 2011

Careful what you buy ...

Nope - it's not about the car, bit early to have regrets 2 days before picking it up !

Nah - this is about stuff that sounds like a Good Idea when they present it but will actually get you into trouble.

One thing I've been offered with the Lexus is a 3 day "get you home" insurance ... And it'd be free. Sounds good doesn't it ? So ... Plan last week would be :

Step 1 - update current insurance to take account of the new(ish) car coming.

That means ringing up my current car insurance provider and letting them know I'm changing the car. Qu : When do I want cover to start ? Thinking I'd have the 3 day policy I said midnight when I'd be safely tucked up in bed and not driving. (I did say midnight didn't I ? Oops - mustn't tell whoppers) Felt like a good idea at the time.

It makes sense to keep it consistent between insurances so you don't end up with the extra expense of cancelling one policy in favour of another. That spookily spreads the bills around the year too, although with the Lexus being registered in March I believe it matches up those MoT (in 2.5 years), service and insurance bills again.

Step 2 - phone the Lexus insurance people to tell them when to start the 3 day cover.

Oops - I get advised that what I'd sorted out with Admiral would leave me with duplicate cover for 2 and a half days.

That's illegal ! Oh well.

Step 3 - phone Admiral again (and get another nice Indian girl sounding spookily like the first I talked to) and tweak Step 1.

So now I'll have cover on two cars on Wednesday, the Focus and the Lexus. All sorted.

(Sidebar - why offer a "cover starts 2012" option in a form asking for quote details when you're only going to accept up to Dec 2011 ?)

So - if you get offered something ... and it's free ... Make sure you check what's involved, there's probably a catch ...

Oh - I'm currently sniggering my way through a blu-ray of the A Team movie. If you've grinned while the 80s TV show was on, you'll love this one.

PS I believe I'll be switching car insurance next time round anyway. Dunno the exact Admiral cost for my next car but Direct Line quotes £20 cheaper whereas Admiral asked for more.
PS2 Admiral may cost more but I definitely approve of their call centre staff. Courteous and they could even understand me ! That's rare ...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, and I thought US insurance was a headache.

    I'm pretty sure no one cares here if you have a car insured twice as long as you only collect once...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol - that's how I thought it would be too !

    I've tried to time it a few times in the past - tell the garage I'll turn up at 12.00, tell the insurance to switch at 12.00 and get there slightly early. Sorted ! Not as easy this time though because I'm on the motorway for just under an hour to get there ...

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.