Sunday, September 06, 2020

Defensive Baking and Speed Running

Hello everyone,

Book today ! Internet spaceships later.
It wasn't that book. Although after seeing it in my search for a thumbnail today, I kinda want to read that now ! The pic above is The Great Dragon Bake Off by Nicola O'Byrne and here's the Goodreads link.
Nah, this semi-review is about A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by T.Kingfisher, aka Ursula Vernon.
After switching to this one after giving up on the tedious Existence (David Brin), this book was a wonderful breath of fresh air. It's written in a light style and it's always half a sentence away from an inventive bit of humour that'll keep you laughing all the way through the book and quite often, bursting out into uncontrollable chuckles.

What's it about ?

This book is centred around the 14 year old Mona, who lives in a feudal medieval era world blessed by a light touch of magic. Wizards are rare ... and our Mona has an affinity for bread and baking. She can make gingerbread men dance and animate dough in various other ways.

However ... not all is well in this world ...
There's been a Murder ! This is one of those lovely books that's extremely well paced. You don't get bored but happily get drawn gently into a tale of skullduggery and then heroism. It builds to a natural climactic finish too. Quite possibly a bit dark with what one of the characters gets up to ... but you probably need a bit of evil to balance all that fluffy goodness.

I think I had all sorts of bread puns lined up when I was talking to someone about this the other day but the internet spaceships thing today has banished them a bit ! Let's see ...

A nice fluffy story. It rises satisfactorily throughout, it tempts with goodness and the humour and characters are the icing on the top. Oh and it's consistent within itself too, coming out the oven with a lovely texture throughout.

A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by T.Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon) - wonderful book, will definitely be checking out what else she's come out with. Humour throughout and delicious inventiveness.

Internet spaceships ? I may have to be a bit more careful with these because my body wasn't liking what I was doing with them today. (Oo-er?)
I left things last time with the Hand of Caledorn doing a different type of mining ... After one more quick session, I've switched over to Zoomnarr, aka 5K-L4H. That's Zoomnarr in the picture above. She's my second Krait Mk II ship, with that type selected because there hasn't been a record run done with them yet. Mission ... head to the Core.
After a little shakedown cruise first. Seen here checking a decidedly second hand science ship.
The speed run thing is to see how quickly you can get from the Sol system to Sagittarius A* at the galactic centre. It's been done in 86 minutes 57 seconds ... in a ship with greater jump range. They're probably seeing 75-77 light year jumps there, Zoomnarr can do 61.1 light year jumps. I think they have a much craftier route as well than the ones the Spansh plotter gives me.
The things they look for to register runs are 3 screenshots ... the one above which proves you started on the same day you arrived (they changed the info in the next one). The time of departure :
There we go. 12.58.00 in the top right. And time of arrival, using the Galaxy Map to prove that you're at the Core :
This time it's 16.08.49 in the top left, making the run time 3 hours, 10 minutes and 49 seconds for my fastest time yet. I thought I had a chance of breaking through to under 3 hours but made a few errors at neutron stars :
That was the worst, where I bumped into the exclusion zone which drops you out of hyperspace. To go really far and fast, you drop into the streamers of the neutron stars and that lets you jump 4 times the distance that you would without the boost.
One thing about the trip is that as you get closer to the centre, the star density massively increases. It's pretty. And I'm definitely liking the new colour scheme.
And another visit to Sagittarius A* ! I think this is the fifth time I've been there on this character and it's still a treat seeing the stars lensing around the monster in the middle there.
But it was time to put the ship to bed and there she is coming to rest in Explorer's Anchorage. The trip back will be a lot slower and I'll be checking out places to see as well with a new rover.

Next objective - to have Zoomnarr on screen with Cmdr Drew Wagar's next Elite tour, starting in October. I should be back in the bubble for that :-).

Hopefully with limbs that have forgiven me by then too ! The speed run play style is a bit reminiscent of MMOs, where you feel pressured to keep at it when you'd normally step away for a moment or take it a bit more chill. I was feeling this trip in my hip (strange I know !) and I'll have reminders from the arms over the next few days.

But the setting of a new time and the screenshots I'll get on the way back will make it worth it.

Stay safe everyone, be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.