Sunday, April 26, 2020

Among the stars ... again

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all being well. I've been trying out a new game ... Well, a not that old game but today's the first time I've gone back into it for a while. What's the game ?
Coming in to land in a ship who's name, alas, escapes me for now. The start of No Mans Sky sees you emerge into consciousness on a far flung planet, with no memory of what's gone before.
In my case for this game, a fairly radioactive planet with lots of orange and yellow. The game leads you in to what it has to offer reasonably gently although I'm sure I'll forget it all as I go. When the game originally came out, the idea was to steadily make your way to the galactic centre, upgrading your systems and ship as you went.
Ship definitely starts as a fixer upper. It's a short, stubby affair but I kinda like it.
Don't mind the "Omg it's a bit on fire" look. All fixed up now. Venturing further, I find myself at an abandoned base ...
Yep. That's radioactive dust being kicked up. Only slightly cooked. This place had that Merhetic Seal or whatever it was I needed to get the ship going.

One major difference between this one and Elite is that as well as having the space ship stuff, this game is really more about the ground exploration.
Found that one later ... A distress call leaving a mysteriously abandoned ship and no traces of the previous owner. Where could they have gone ? I don't think I'll be flying that ship for a while it's pretty broken.

Oh ! I have my own base too !
Looks great doesn't it. Dunno about the neighbours in the more sophisticated facility a little bit further off there. They're mysteriously missing too. Wonder where they went ? My little hut now has a teleporter device attached too which apparently brings your ship back too.
I do like that big space station. Very ... round. Populated too with odd aliens, although I need to explore in order to learn their languages. Perhaps to them, I am the odd one. If they think that then they're excellent judges of character.

Lots more to do, although I disappeared out of the game earlier due to impending hunger. A nice start, a pretty game, wondering where it'll go, hoping that upping the graphics options is going to make it even prettier without affecting frame rate too much.

I'm very confident that the Ryzen 5 3600 in Meltdown will handle it without too much effort but my graphics card is probably starting to show age now. It doesn't have the graphics memory (3GB card) that the heaviest and most detailed texture work needs.

A good start though.

Ship needs a name too ! The first word of her name is "Radiant", I think the second is "Duster" but I'm not sure. Radiant Duster is a decent name.

Stay safe, be well everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.