Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Acquiring Things At The Mall

I've been at the Mall tonight and I've acquired something ...

Tonight was going to be spent watching the first Falcon Heavy rocket launch which will hopefully still happen soon. Instead of letting loose a single rocket, this one is effectively 3 Falcon 9 first stages strapped together with a second stage on top. They plan to land all three first stages and then have the payload, Elon Musk's Tesla Roadset, head on over to Mars.

I hope it succeeds ! Anyway that was originally scheduled to go at 6.30pm UK time but the launch has been pushed back due to high winds. I just heard the webcast start up in another window.

I spotted something similarly spectacular earlier too ...
What might that be ?

It's the Ultimate Collector Series version of the Star Wars Millennium Falcon (Lego shop link, don't look at the price). At 7,541 pieces, it is the biggest Lego set to date. Bigger than the Death Star even. It's rarer than Plutonium. And John Lewis had one on the shelf today. The bottom shelf mind, probably cos no one is going to want to lift that to the top shelf and it would make a big dent in anyone taking a casual look at it.

They were offering complementary wheels to go with this so you could easily take it out of the Lego shops.

I've seen this one being put together as well. I've been keeping an eye on the Brickbuilder Youtube channel and while they've been on a bit of a break or building very small kits lately, this is their speed build of the big Falcon. I may watch that again at some point. All 52 minutes of (ahem) speed build.

Actually, I may have my answer for Next Lego Set from peeking at the Lego Shop. Check out this ship in a bottle. Very curious.

Ooooo - the Spacex webcast for Falcon Heavy just kicked off (if in time, here it is : http://www.spacex.com/webcast ). Not long to launch !

I better get to watching.

Oh ! What did I buy at the Mall ? I did not, sadly, buy an enormous Lego Millennium Falcon. A shame as it would complete my set of 3 so far. (Actually there's another small one available now that I don't have)

I nearly got locked out of my house yesterday ... I've already replaced the top lock and the lower lock is getting stiffer. It didn't want to turn for a while yesterday, so I've taken the hint and today's acquisition was a very boring :

House front door lock.
Yep. Adulting again.

I try not to make a habit of it but it's cold out there at the moment and I don't want to be locked out ! The locks of this place have done well. I've lived here for 16 years now and the locks are older than that. Hopefully the lock won't break before I get a chance to do locksmith things ...

PS Post launch addendum ...
Those are the two side boosters, they reported that the core landed too and that Tesla is on its way to Mars with a "DON'T PANIC" on the dash. Awesome stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.