Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Novel voting

I did something I haven't done .... ever !
We're going to have an election over here in the UK on the 8th of June. It's a bit quick for us, coming only 2 years after our last one. We usually have elections every 5 years but our current ruling party want to make sure they're in power for the full extent of our withdrawal from the European Union.

So we're choosing our ruling party again ....

This poses me a bit of a problem because I fully intend to be in London for all of the time of day that the polling stations are open for. It's the Interservices Twenty 20 tournament again (cricket) and I've been enjoying going to that for a good few years now. Here's the post from last year (link!).

You might be thinking there .... I'm away for the day :
Today's activity was to initiate the postal voting process. I haven't actually done that before, I've been able to do all of my voting in person on the day. But this time, I'll put that early postal vote in. It only took about 5 minutes to register that I needed to do the postal vote.

I'm not entirely sure who I'm voting for and I wouldn't dream of giving you advice on who to vote for. There are far more obnoxious people who will do that for me and you'll be sick of seeing their advice over the next month. I will say a few things though :

Vote on people's records. Not just on what's reported (because our media is very biased and self interested) but on the facts. And those facts of how people really behave often contradict what they say they are going to do.
Don't overdo it with the propaganda. I have a few Labour fanatics on my Facebook timeline .... I would actually quite like to mute them for a month because they're more biased than the media. I can't believe anything they say any more when it comes to politics.
(I similarly know Conservative fanatics who try to push your vote the other way)

Don't believe anyone when they say your vote might be wasted. Vote in the way you want to vote but ... above all else : PLEASE VOTE ! The only wasted vote is the vote that was not cast.

I'm pretty sure I know which way I'll be voting. I won't be telling anyone or advising anyone. I'll just be happy that I've had the chance to vote for a leader.

And that's what counts.
Don't disappoint staring puppy !

Oh and ....
I think I need that t-shirt. Or ....
I'm not sure if I believe that.
I haven't been piloting in the Elites. It's been a while, I should really blow the dust off the hyperdrive again at some point.

Hopefully you can ignore all the lies we'll be peddled over the next month and rise above the temptation to indulge in the nastiness that always mars election campaigns ! But .... above all else :
A politician said that a few years ago and it just highlighted his increasing megalomania.

Go vote !

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.