Tuesday, July 01, 2014

About the boys

Ok, so I posted a bit about the Ladies yesterday so it's the boys turn today.

(Cos I spotted this post from my dear friend CK and couldn't resist doing my own version)

So what would I call the male voice highlights in my library ?

First and always is the incredible Freddie Mercury. He'll be at the top of most people's lists, especially with awesome works like the poignant Who Wants To Live Forever.

Seal has been a long standing favourite too. And following the Freddie theme, here's a Prayer For The Dying. RIP Freddie, we've missed you.

Mark Knopfler isn't blessed with a particularly listenable to voice but his guitar playing is just sublime. Just listen to the interplay on Romeo and Juliet.

Mainstream ? You could describe Jon Bon Jovi as that. Wanted Dead Or Alive is one of those songs that stops me in my tracks so I can sing along.

As is Days Gone By by Dirty Vegas. Gorgeous song.

But what's playing at the moment ? I spotted the Bridge Over Troubled Water album for £3 the other week. Couldn't resist picking that one up, it's loaded with incredible. Here's the title track.

That's all from the top of my head, the top of the library shows me a-Ha and the voice of Morten Harket and the classic Take On Me.

The Arctic Monkeys don't have classic trained Freddie style voices but they draw you in to their songs. Here's me hoping that A Certain Romance comes my way. (Perhaps from someone who keeps confessing on her videos that she's single ? haha - that's me hoping)

The Beatles have also been one of those groups that don't have the sublime voices of a Seal but they still keep you listening to songs like Eleanor Rigby.

My "This Post Is Gonna Get Long" detector is starting to go off so ... list mode !

Bob Marley - Redemption Song
Buddy Holly - Raining In My Heart
Chris Crooner Isaak - Wicked Game
Chris Rea - again not a classic voice but oh so great songs - Let's Dance
Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol - Setting Fire To The Third Bar
Anything by Crowded House - but it's Wimbledon so Four Seasons In One Day.
David Bowie - I think he's inconsistent but the brilliant is extreme - is there Life On Mars ?
Sting - Every Breath You Take
Don Henley - Boys of Summer (and all the Eagles material)
Don McLean - the unforgettable American Pie
Extreme - pretty dire actually, apart from More Than Words

Looking down a Gershwin cd, I see :
RIP Robert Palmer - Addicted To Love
Peter Gabriel - reaching back to Family Snapshot
Meat Loaf - again not a favourite cos of his material but what a voice

Back to the list :
RIP Michael Hutchence - we miss you too - Baby Don't Cry
Justin Hayward - Nights In White Satin is just ... no words do it justice.
Johnny Cash - Walking That Line.
Robbie Williams - Rock that DJ
Lenny Kravitz - Heaven Help
The boys of Mansun - Wide Open Space
Maroon 5 - I wish I had the Moves Like Jagger (link for my dear SQ!)
RIP Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

Back to the Beatles - there was an excellent musical movie a few years ago called Across The Universe. If you haven't seen it, it's a musical movie done very, very right. And All You Need Is Love sung by Jim Sturgess is just one example although it is kind of a spoiler for the end of the movie.

And still looking back a bit :
Neil Diamond is incredible live - I have his Hot August Night album which contains the lovely Morningside
Paul Weller - the unforgettable Wild Wood
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here will always be one of my favourites
Prince has had a huge impact on the music industry, from his contributions to others but also his own brilliance - Purple Rain
Michael Stipe - Everybody Hurts
David Byrne of Talking Heads has been an icon for years in his own way - Wild Wild Life
10cc - I'm Not In Love

And a joke one to finish off. Wierd Al Yankovic has been going for years producing his own unique versions of many favourites. Here's one you've heard before ... differently ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.