Thursday, August 30, 2012

Need ... more ... music ...

That's right ! I've finally managed to finish listening to all the tunes in my library again. Must be time to reset the playcounts again ...

Before I pass on what I think of the new arrivals, a shout out for a friend : I have a colleague about to do a sponsored sky dive this Saturday and I was going to pass on the last bit of my Pink Hat Bounty as a little extra to the contribution I'd pass on anyway :-)

Here's her page - wish her luck (and maybe add a bit on for the cause ?). The catch in my last game of the season drew in another £5 of Pink Hat Bounty and for something like this, I'd have been putting in a fiver anyway :-).

Where was I ? MUSIC !
I saw this on Facebook and had to grab it. At the moment, they're joining me with listening to Retrospective by Suzanne Vega, which is a greatest hits collection from a few years ago. She's since gone on and created even more great music.

Next up will be Sounds From Nowhere by the Ting Tings. I wasn't expecting much from this. The reviews are marmite, which I really can't understand except by considering the viewpoint of the Entitlement crew. Those are the people who build up their own expectations to impossible levels and then throw their teddies out the pram when what they received doesn't match that expectation.

Sounds From Nowhere is a very listenable-to album. It's not as raw or edgy as their first album but it is a pretty good one. Perhaps that's where the aggro has come from, it's not as different as their first.

Tori Amos has been in the news lately - she does pretty well at rousing up the interest when there's a new album on the way. I managed to find Abnormally Attracted To Sin, which is a characteristic Tori Amos album. She's a hell of an artist but there's something that makes me avoid getting everything she's done like I do with groups like Alisha's Attic, Bat For Lashes and Garbage (except the latest which is rip off prices). This one's a decent album again but the most special thing here is the singer, there's no real stand out tracks. Some of Tori Amos albums are filled with stand out tracks (Beekeeper, Scarlet's Walk, Under The Pink) but this one is very samey. Still worth getting though for the Tori Amos fan.

Smash Mouth - All Star Greatest Hits. This one may provoke smiles. They must have had fun making this collection, although the best tracks on here are the cover versions.

Beyond Good & Evil soundtrack - is better in the background on the game to be honest. It definitely adds something to the game but it's a collection of background rather than something that would take the attention in the foreground.

Civilisation V soundtrack - same thing here. However - music like this tends to worm its way into your head, take up residence and drive you crazy.

Deus Ex soundtrack - from the original game. This works really well. I find myself wanting to take another look at a game I missed out on the first time around to hear the music in the correct context.

Edie Brickell's Edie Brickell album. I got frustrated waiting for this old album to be made available over here. Come on ! I can't even buy it from Amazon or iTunes because it's barred from sale. That's half the reason why piracy happens, because you literally cannot buy some stuff. I'll buy this one when it becomes available, it's good enough for that.

Machinarium by Tomas Dvorak. Soundtracks are the new classical music, whether they be on film, telly or game. Tomas Dvorak does a great job of setting the mood with his soundtrack to Machinarium and it's one you could listen to as a standalone album too.

Air's Premiers Symptomes - interesting EP. There's tracks here that give promise of better to come, including one that's like a precursor to the enchanting All I Need.

Katie Melua's Secret Symphony. You'll know what to expect by now from Katie Melua and this one is no exception. Good album, not particularly inspiring. There's nothing on the level of Shy Boy here.

Gabriella Cilmi's Ten. This one's a fairly worth successor to her original album :-) Although she should move on from Sweet About Me because that song can get old very quickly.

Trine 2 soundtrack. Awesome soundtrack. It's very listenable to as a discrete album. Must play the game at some point. (Guild Wars 2 permitting).

Transvision Vamp's Velveteen. I love this album. It's cheeky cheerfulness and I suspect was an inspiration for the Ting Tings.

King of Leon's Youth & Young Manhood - meh.

Stuff that hasn't made into the library yet includes :

Bat For Lashes - Haunted Man : I have this on preorder
Olympic Opening & Closing ceremony music - I may get these at some point
Garbage's latest : they're too greedy with the pricing or I'd have bought it by now.

Been enjoying my music :-)

PS No recurrence of the breathing issues yet, although I'm waiting to see if it flares up again tomorrow.
PS2 That's a lot of music isn't it ? I cheated when making that list by asking iTunes what I'd recently listened to. That's what it came up with for the last 90 days ... just over 300 new tracks.
PS3 Someone's doing a skydive ! For charity ! See link up top !

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.