Friday, May 27, 2011

Trainee plumber

Think I'm going to turn myself into a trainee plumber soon.

The jobs seem to be adding up ... They're fairly minor at the moment but being just minor doesn't mean they don't have to be done at some point. What needs fixing ?

1 - taps in kitchen. No big deal, just the hot tap sticks open and needs a towel in hand to close it. No big deal, it's not like it's locked shut and I'm needing to boil water to do the dishes.

2 - washing machine. I suspect I'm going to have to replace it again on the usual "They don't make 'em like they used to." It's about 6 years old, so just long enough out of the guarantee for the built in gremlins to come out of cryosleep. No big deal in changing over a washing machine, although see No 3.

3 - washing machine fittings. The cold water shut off works ok but the hot water shut off weeps. Or rather, if there's nothing on the other end it'll spray. Answer, don't take the thing off the other end. Will have to take a good look at this when I change washing machine (I haz plan).

4 - Dripdripdrippy cold water tank. Switched out the ballcock & valve, no result. Still dripped. Then I got muscly ... Bending the bar got the level down :-)

5 - Loo flusher. This is the current "needs doing urgently" because it's slightly icky. What I'll need to do is replace the siphon thingywidget that makes the flush work. I have a backup plan that's keeping things ok for now but I'm just restricted to 2 litres of flushing water rather than 6-8. I have the part I need to fit but will need to fight Old Bits (think - rusted in place) to do the switchover.

But not yet, cos I'm away for a week :-)

The loo flusher is the only one of those that really needs fixing NOW but it's a little daunting in what I'll need to do :
Cistern emptied of water.
Prevent new water getting into cistern.
Take cistern off wall.
Switch over siphony thing.
Put cistern back.
Cross fingers and hope for no leaks.

I'll get it done some time but I have a feeling I'll need to stock up on WD40.

Oh and Blogger is pants right now. The occasional logout it'll do for you was ok (if annoying) in the past but is now yet more annoying because broken formatting means you can't log back in as easily as before. Why change stuff if the change is for the negative ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.