Sunday, June 07, 2009

Lost in Facebook

Heh heh heh - in a film I'll happily watch many times, one of the opening lines is "The Matrix Has You".

Facebook kinda does that too - They've done well in making it quite user friendly and I'm quite impressed with the amount of automation that it has built in. Things like having minigame exploits being able to get published to your page. I'm a little surprised I've taken to it, as it's a complete contrast from the blog :

Blog - Wall Of Text
Facebook - minicomments

I have to admit, I've been struggling to put things on here lately, although that's partly down to tiredness. I'm getting close to needing another week away from work. I like what I do but there are times I want to escape and not have to think about the several different directions I get pulled in when I'm there. It definitely has compensations, like Thursday when I got to have a tour of what I've been helping to put together over the past 9 years.

There's a curious satisfaction to seeing something come together, especially if you've been involved from almost the beginning. Projects start out as thoughts on paper but they only really come alive when you can see tangible progress. And there's nothing more tangible than what we saw on Thursday. It feels alive now and ready to take on what we ask of it. And I got a hell of a kick out of seeing that.

What else is happening ? We've been having typical English weather at the moment :

Hottest days of the year, followed by a predictable deluge. Predictable because it's come at the same time as the World Twenty20 cup in the cricket. They've had results in all the games so far, although England will probably have been wishing that Friday's had been rained off ... They got bitten by complacency (yet!) again and failed to beat Netherlands. You should always try your hardest, because if you don't the people you're playing will make you regret taken them too lightly.

I should have been out of office again Friday but cried off due to increasing stiffness in my back. That's one of my old injuries that likes to remind me it's there every so often. I wouldn't describe the sensation as "pain", as pain is too strong a word. Mind you, I seem to use the word "pain" like others use "agony" :-) One thing I'll be looking for on that week off I'm aiming at is a relaxing of my back, as one cause is stress. I stress myself to do my job well, so getting away from the job completely gives an opportunity to heal up a bit.

Watched the latest Terminator movie earlier. It's handy to have watched the first 3 movies, as you know what to look out for. This movie scores extremely well in staying consistent with what's gone before, which is always the place where sci-fi movies trip up over themselves. Things like scars on people, where do they come from ... bar codes burned into others. They need to be accounted for in order to keep things consistent. It's a shame the trailers give away what could have been a huge plot point, as this would have had Major Shock Value if kept as a surprise.

Good movie, worth seeing. Very action heavy and very loud, so it won't be for everyone's taste :-)

Right - I have the Grand Prix on telly and I'll be watching England v Pakistan in the cricket afterwards. Not been listening to as much music as usual lately, although I'm looking forward to the Little Boots album that comes out tomorrow.

PS Was great to see The Rose back in on Friday :-)

1 comment:

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.