Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Books ! And a little bit of buggying around

Hello everyone,

I feel tired ! Dunno why, haven't exactly been doing that much. Perhaps it's lack of sleep, or my body getting used to not doing very much. I'll be out of the house soon though, for more than just stocking up the cupboards again.

Also been doing book ... Not just one book as well but two ! Let's see. It should be through the Google thing by now :
Actual paperback. Perhaps rare in this era of ebooks and Kindles ... Signed by the author too :
Big nod. (Yes, that's my thumb). This was a case of seeing a sequel to a book I'd already read and enjoyed and being content to pay a little more than e-book price in order to support that local bookshop and to get one with a little, superficial aye, extra.

What's the book about ? It's the sequel to Embers of War, which sets up this world by introducing the setting and characters which include the spaceship at the centre of this trilogy, the Trouble Dog. After being required to undertake an atrocity that ended a war, she retired from naval service and joined the House of Reclamation, an organisation dedicated to rescue and preservation of life. This middle book sees the Trouble Dog and crew embark on another rescue attempt, this time to jump into the unknown to rescue a ship of salvagers who came a cropper when they attempted to do a bit of illegal salvage on a wandering generation ship.

Oh and all hell is breaking loose in the galaxy while this is going on. I don't want to say too much more about the plot cos it'll spoil both this book and the previous book but ...

I love the Trouble Dog, she's a ship with attitude and an avatar that combines smart, tough, sassy and resourcefulness. The book swaps between various characters, with its 400 pages broken up in to 83 chapters which each focus on a central character. The Trouble Dog is the star of her own chapters.
As is Nod, an alien of the Druff race which are innately brilliant engineers. Every ship has a Druff engineer that keeps the ship going. They're utterly alien, written expertly by the author and lend a welcome change of perspective to the books.
And I like the rest of the human characters too, who all have their own driving characteristics, mental flaws, issues and other quirks that make them and keep them interesting.

This one is very definitely a Middle Book and as such it moves the general plotline on considerably. It doesn't give an end, Embers of War is definitely the beginning and ... I got the last book in the queue to read. I'll be looking forwards to that one as much as I am looking forward to reading Absolution Gap.
The second book was Artificial Condition, by Martha Wells and it's book 2 of the Murderbot Diaries. The first comment that always comes out about these books is ... HOW MUCH ? The price is a bit too inflated for my liking at £6 for essentially a novella. Still, this one and All Systems Red (book 1) were both captivating reads. The central character just goes by their self given name, Murderbot. They're a former SecUnit (Security Unit) that's gone rogue. Except all they want to do is have a chance to peacefully watch as many entertainment serials that they can.

It doesn't work that way though, so Murderbot ends up on adventures that have gone from pure survival and a start in figuring out the events that made them go rogue. Cos they didn't just go rogue originally, they were involved in the death of all of the humans in the place it happened.

I'll be back for more of the Murderbot Diaries. They're a fun read. Bit quick ... but that also means that it's tight writing that rattles the story along without any more padding than is necessary to tell you what's going on in Murderbot's head.

Recommended - both books.

Buggying around ? Internet Spaceships again ! Gotta admit, I'm having to be a little careful with play time because my hand and shoulders are bugging me again but it was good to get back to the populated bubble again and have a little explore. I left it last time at the Hawkins Gap Bases (the spelling is horribly inconsistent I know).
This was a good one to fly by ... It's a ringed planet lit by the local neutron star.
The end of this journey took me to Cortes Base, which has been adopted by a race circuit for intrepid fighter pilots and maybe by pilots of the little ships too. I may have to check that out. I took the buggy in there ...
I found a couple of issues along the way, This is a dome on the outside of the base where the foundations don't quite reach to the ground. I'm actually ok with this, although it reveals some of the magic around how these planetary bases are generated and built in the game. A couple of glitches are ok.
I never gave the birds eye view ! There we go, on approach.
This was the way in and ... you may be able to detect another glitch. The ramp doesn't reach quite all the way to the ground. That's ok, I had jet boosters let me jump up there :-D. Little bit of creative use of a jump ramp maybe but it was still good to get in there.
And have a little look around. Click for bigger on these by the way.
One fun thing is that the scale is all good. The bases are massive ... and in scale. Those windows up there genuinely look like a floor high each and the ground floor doors to that hangar building are scaled correctly for the rover.
Lots to explore too.
Bit quiet out there in the streets ... I might have got there a bit late, their time.
Couldn't get in to the actual base though.
Lots to see in there.
It was getting time for me to put the game to bed as well though ...
Another peek from a safe distance and then it was time to be off and make a proper landing.

Outside of the internet spaceships, I've been working on a Dwagon Alphabet. I have most of the letters now, although it'll take a fair bit of tweaking time before I'm happy with them all. People like them though. The first one was a Happy Birthday message for someone which I hope she enjoyed ... and then more Dwagon Letters have sprung up from there as I produce them. I'm a fan of the Clip Studio application that I've been using, it makes the drawing and editing with the tablet happen very easily.

I think that's it for tonight though. Stay safe, be well, steer clear of the internet if it's causing you grief (lots has been coming out into the public eye lately, much of it unhealthy).

Dwagon Alphabet will come later but for now ... out take from the excursion !
Landing Autopilot's been sniffing the rocket fuel again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.