Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hibernation time - almost

Started my Xmas leave today.

It was supposed to be tomorrow but a long period without bugs has caught up with me so I took today off ahead of a few days of travelling 150 mile + each day. Yep - Sleepy's on tour ...

Kinda. It's actually a cunning plan to make sure we have an Xmas dinner.

Trip 1 - up to see the parents. Hopefully the iPod will cooperate and give me tunes all the way. (I'll have the cd player ready if it doesn't)
Trip 2 - pick up munchies for Sunday
Trip 3 - take munchies to Sister's place on the Saturday
Trip 4 - take dog to Sister's place on Sunday morning.

We'll use my car for most of it (more comfy) but Muttley will go in my dad's Volvo, the boot is somewhat bigger. The CT is an awesome piece of machinery, in a cushycomfy kind of way. But ... one of the compromises made for having petrol and electric drive is less boot space than you get in most cars. It's actually not that bad, I should be able to get the cricket bag in there comfortably come next season. Oh - the Cunning part of the plan involves not putting Dog + Xmas Dinner in the same car at the same time. We don't want "Muttley" turning into "Barrel". Not decided when I'll come back yet, although it won't be that long.

Which takes me to :

Diet - this is going ok. I've not gone nuts with weird food, I've just enacted more discipline in what I consume. At work, I'd usually have a teacake in the morning, lunch plus something unhealthy in the afternoon. I still have the teacake (cos I don't have breakfast at home) and lunch but I've managed to cut out the cookie hunt in the afternoon. Biscuits are also lasting a lot longer at home.

I've not dramatically shed weight (that's not the plan, it's unhealthy to lose weight too fast) but I've arrested a trend of gaining and reversed it by losing almost half a stone. We'll see if that continues while I'm away.

Leg - is improving steadily. I still need to give it an occasional dose of the steroid/anti-biotic cream but those are becoming more occasional. And I think the need for it was being driven by a reaction to what I'd been wearing. I.e. my occasionally worn jeans which were last washed with stuff I think I'm allergic to. I have a new pair to test that theory.

The leg still isn't at the point where I'd want to wear a knee pad and therefore isn't ready for cricket, however the skin is all intact now instead of splitting when I walk ... It's in much better shape now and has time before the season starts again. Will the shoulder be ok though ?

Techie tinkering - Thought I had an idea to sort out the sound skip on dvd's being played back through the blu-ray players. Alas, while that's sorted out the sound problem, the video now skips. Oh well. Back to another idea, which is to use my Xbox to play dvd's and blu-ray player to play blu-rays. So far, it's through over an hour of Return Of The King with no audio or video blips.

So yes. I'm away from work for a little while now, time to rest & recharge the batteries ahead of a busy new year. I will definitely miss a few of the people at work though. People like Thelma & Louise (yep - new codenames I didn't think I'd use :-) ), the Canteen Girls who know what I want for lunch before I do and one very special little lady in particular who I'm hoping will stay in touch over the break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.