Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Just finished with : Red Mars

I think I have a new trend starting - abandoning books ...

But that's happened twice now over the last couple of months. I think my fixation with David Weber has been broken by a certain Jack Campbell. On the one hand, you have David Weber who is occasionally brilliant with well structured and decently paced books. However, there's also the David Weber who buries the good stuff in his books in a mire of non-interesting, non-important filler. I gave up on Shadow of Saganami after 300 pages out of a 1000 and I don't think I'll go back to it.

That's one danger of spoilers actually. The giving up with it was born partly out of looking at the sneak preview chapter at the back which is taken from the next book and then me looking up some of that in wiki. Because of that, I have a synopsis of this book and the next, without having to wade through the filler. After 300 pages, nothing had really happened.

On the other hand, there's the Jack Campbell set of 6 books which I raced my way through. They're about 350 pages in each, all structured around Big Fleet action happening in a star system as the Lost Fleet is making its way through. And by Big Fleet, there's several hundred warships in this Lost Fleet. These books keep it simple and the filler is kept to an absolute minimum. Combined with the star system based action, that means the pacing is excellent. Hopefully there will be more to come from this one.

Hey ! How about this Red Mars book ?

It's part of a trilogy of about 5 parts (where've we heard that before ?) by Kim Stanley Robinson. You can tell there's a huge amount of research gone into this trilogy in the engineering and planetology detail that forms its core. There's a lot of good stuff here and it hangs together well with the "could this work ?" feeling always being positive. However ... a good story has a beginning, a middle and an end. Occasionally a bit of the middle gets shunted to the start to kick start the beginning.

What KSR forgets is that End thing. Red Mars ends with an excellent cliff hanger and from what I remember of Green Mars, that ends well too. The last book is a major disappointment though, as it's a collection of travelogues inside the KSR Mars solar system. There's no real End here, although you could say that's the point in a Life Goes On kind of way. However, it feels like the trilogy could have finished after 2.5 books as the last is mostly filler with the Actual Story Detector reading negative all the way.

Anyway, I've given up on this one because :
a) I've read it before (and enjoyed it)
b) There's better Mars books (will read the Ben Bova one again sometime)
c) I could see the travelogue signs creeping into Red Mars

There's the conflict between wanting to know what happens in it and not particularly wanting the tedium of finding out. That's one reason I read a few books in between attempting a Turtledove WorldWar book. I'll put this one in the A to Z but it may well get replaced by something like Return To Mars or something else beginning with R.

Next book is Titanicus by Dan Abnett, where the God Machines walk on Orestes. It'll be the second book I've read by Dan Abnett but whereas the first was centred around the humble Imperial Guard, this one tackles the opposite end of the scale where you have huge war engines 100m tall striding across the battlefield.

I started it last night and am already well over a hundred pages in.

Right - I have a job to do and it'll involve raiding a village under attack to recover supplies.
Will Raid For :
Food
Mini Eggs
Pizza
Or to listen to the Hot Swedish Girls.

3 comments:

  1. I hardly ever re-read anything. I like the thrill of the new too much. If you know what's coming next where's the suspense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh - what's the difference though between reading a book again and watching a movie or a TV series again ?

    Saying that though, the little touches that do setting up for later are usually harder to see in a movie unless they hit you over the head with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh - what's the difference though between reading a book again and watching a movie or a TV series again ?

    Movie = 2 hours

    Book = 5 days

    Also, I tend to have *many* more books stacked up to be read than movies to be watched...

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.