Saturday, August 14, 2010

Natural Order - Broken

Yep, that's right, the natural order of the universe is breaking down.

What's the proof ? Game on Wednesday had 2 incidents that are highly unusual. The second was not so much of a surprise, as it was my third catch of the year. Going back to the old hat has really helped my fielding as I can track the ball properly again. I'm also fielding well enough to secure a place at my favoured infield position which is kinder on the shoulder.

Still, 3 catches this year is a good return, I've only dropped 1 so far (not counting the couple I didn't quite reach). No runouts yet, I must be scaring batsmen into not running, which is half the battle. A bit of energy injected early on makes it easier later.

What was the first incident ? Well, it's one that doesn't come every day. It's my first of the year and must be the first in quite a few seasons. The scorers needed several repeats of the signal from our umpire because they thought he was joking. I'd gone back to my old bat after missing shots with the new one. It was the first scoring shot of my innings.

Ok, I've built that up hugely, what happened ?

I hit a six.

That's right - one hit, clearing the boundary. Can't remember when I hit my last, it may be decades.

Definite signs that the Natural Order of the Universe is breaking down. The sudden spurt of batting form didn't last though. I stole a single at the end of that over, followed by a comment of "perhaps that was a bad idea" as I knew what was coming from the other end. Quick, little bit of swing and I almost dug out an excellent over. Out for 7.

Which is incidentally also the number of games we've run on the trot. Our fielding isn't great, with catches refused and several of our fielders showing huge Ball Fright but somehow we keep winning those close games. It's good stuff :-) We were lucky to get the game in too, after torrential rain on Monday and Tuesday.

I'm becoming more a fan of my phone too now after a shaky start. The 3g internet problem was sorted out late Wednesday giving full functionality to the little handset. It has several app toys in there to keep the SleepyGeek happy. I've only managed to catch TrackID out a couple of times so far, although NeoReader can't even recognise the bar code of a KitKat. It requires educating.

The battery is lasting longer too, still going strong after almost 2 days. So it's forgiven and will hopefully fit in the rather thin pocket of my leather jacket. It's a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini. If I'm not a fan of endorsements but will pass one on if it does well. Being a free upgrade helps there too.

What now ? Twenty20 finals day on the telly at the moment, although it's being disrupted by rain. Hoping they get 3 full games in, I'm currently watching Marcus Trescothick hammer the ball to all parts. Go Tres !

Pizza is due in the break between 2nd semi and final, although the heavy rain we have here at the moment may make me delay that.

2 comments:

  1. As I said on FB - woohoo! Though perhaps, it's natural order being restored courtesy of an hat and bat ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to avoid buying any more kit this year ... Last night :

    Head into "Sports Shop", check out new whites. Only see sizes of "Large, Medium, Boys Large" on them. Choose "Large Boys" thinking that the littler legs won't drag too much.

    Bad move ... I find the label later (cunningly hidden under the jaws of the hangers) Large Boys = 30" waist.

    And I still managed to get them on !
    (meant to reply last night but brain = mush)

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.