Friday, May 30, 2008

Car hunt

I'll be off car hunting tomorrow ...

MoT time is looming - for non-UK people, that's an annual test that all cars have to take to prove that they're roadworthy. I'll need to spend money on mine again for essential repairs and I've had the car for over 7 years now. Time for something newer with fewer miles and more toys.

I'm looking at a slightly bigger one next time, as Ford have seen fit to discontinue the rather excellent Puma. Probably something to do with also retiring the Fiesta, which donates the underlying bits for the Puma. The new Fiestas are a little small and the place I'm going to doesn't have anything interesting (i.e. has power+toys) apart from a Focus ST170. There's a few interesting Renault Meganes there but there's two problems with those :

1- The arse of the Renault Megane is not something I want to be looking at in the morning.
2- Internet research suggests they have very questionable reliability

We'll see what we find tomorrow, hopefully this Focus will be in good shape. It definitely looks like the valets have given it a good polish.

PS Going for a Focus also means IpodFM stays viable :-) My sister also has IpodFM but it doesn't work too well in her MR2 because she can't remove the aerial.

3 comments:

  1. Seven years? WEll, that doesn't too old to me...lol. My car is twenty years old...! And we have those inspecyions here in the U.S., as well....But my car is in very good shape and I LOVE my car so....I on't need to change it.
    Much Good Luck finding what you need!

    Thanks for the visit and the interesting comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [biggrin] 7 years is a very long time for our family :-) I dread to think how many cars my sister's got through in that time ...

    Had my first car for only about 18 months but that had to go as it was pretty much learning only. Second car lasted 4 and a bit years before going crispy in a pillar of flame. (In someone else's garage)

    Third lasted me about 18 months before I probably made a mistake by getting a Rover. Ok - it was shiny ! And had way more toys than the Belmont. The Belmont was still going strong (at 130k miles !) though, so it's a shame we moved it on early. We'd probably already fixed everything that was likely to go wrong !

    Rover had lots of trouble while I had it ... This one has done really well, although 80,000 miles could be its limit. (More later!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the car hunt! I'm very happy with my MX5. Great fun adnjust sailed through it's MOT. Not bad for an M reg :)

    ReplyDelete

So much for anonymous commenting ... If you would like to leave a message and don't have a suitable account, there's an email address in my profile.